DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Mystery GZuiko Lens

There website shows one manual focus 50mm F2 and another auto focus 50mm F2 lens which is cleary for the E1. Check out their photos.

Regards

Gilbert

> I had the 50mm f2 macro for the OM series - what a fantastic lens! But > I thought it was out of production now, like all of the Zuiko OM > lenses. I wish I still had the 50 f2 - I traded it for a 50 1.2, which > I also like, but the macro was much sharper and the lens was more > versatile.

Cheers All! - marc

AFAIK the OM macro lenses are:

20mm f2.0 Bellows lens 20mm f3.5 Bellows lens (old manual type) 38mm f2.8 Bellows lens 38mm f3.5 Bellows lens (old manual type) 50mm f3.5 50mm f2.0 80mm f4.0 Bellows lens (old manual type) 80mm f4.0 Bellows lens 90mm f2.0 135mm f4.5 Bellows lens

There is an AF 50mm f2.8 macro for the 77, 101 or 808 or whatever those cameras were called And there is the new 50mm f2.0 ED Digital Zuiko macro for the E-1 (can't wait for that one :)

There is a 38mm f 3.5 for the PenF series that was used as a 'prototype' for the 38 mm bellows lenses)

Daan Kalmeijer

Pictures of insects at: www.kalmeijer.net

Mr. Schmidt
Daniel Tan is right. The shown lens is definitely a normal lens for the FTL (M42). I wonder why that site refers to it as a macro lens. As far as I know Olympus never made a macro for their FTL system.

Hi Yall,

the nback thread mount is 1" (25,4mm) is is far from M42 (i.e. 42mm) - that is why it is mysterious for me (still)

>I would still say that this is an FTL lens or rather it has been. >Apparently someone has replaced the 42mm screw mount with the one you see >in the photos. Hence the alleged 'macro' capability which did not come with >the original construction - the lens is not marked 'macro' anywhere on it, >is it? not to mention the amazingly wide aperture. F1.4 on a macro???

As said before, this is a 'home made' lens using the front ring of a standard OM 50 mm f1.4 lens. The rest looks like a 100 or 105 mm f4.0 macro head. Could be Canon.

Daan

Hello All! Herr Doktor,
did You try mounting it on a movie-camera ...?
(I fear You do not own it, though; only, We may stay at the website's photos. Is is so?).
I must say, at first it works out the same impressions like with Daan.
But I strongly think, it is a genuine Olympus objectiv from FTL serie: both newer OM System and older FTL made 50mm/1,4 and both which marked as "G.ZUIKO - AUTO-S" (OM 50/1,8 says "F.ZUIKO") and both NOT Macro; but its barrel is of FTL one. _
Mounting it on a 8mm or 16mm movie-camera, it became! a Tele-photo by different film-frame size (like mounting a 35mm lens on a not full-frame Digital Camera). _

Should be verified if it does focusing according with the distances printed on the focusing-ring; if so, it means that mysterious mount is well calculated in its length and then a Tele-photo focusing from cm.40 (1.3 ft.) may already be well called as a macro lens. _
If tube-mount lengthens, objectiv can focusing nearest; but We may take the best quality, on the first case.
The 1" screw mount is properly a standard mount for movie-lenses. Also, don't forget many movie-cameras were made as Reflex, too; then, easily allowed to take macro films.

I do not think it as a home-made lens; I think it a limited production, yet based on an Olympus FTL 35mm Lens 42x1 (Praktica) screw thread mount Model and modified into a 1" screw mount version for movie-cameras.
You might make further research among web.sites regarding cine/movie equipments.

Thanks for reading, Greetings from ITALY!

Hi again from Italy!
Come across photos of Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/1,4 Lens
so, I try inserting them:
<center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_html.gif
Olympus G.Zuiko 50mm f/1,4 Lens - FTL and OM Versions of,
Olympus G.Zuiko 50mm f_1 (1.7 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Back