Out of Focus using Natural Light only

Discussion in 'Q&A for better images' started by Kathy K, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Kathy K

Kathy K New Member

What am I doing wrong? I am a professional photographer. I have a Nikon D200. I seem to be able to get all my images in focus when I use my lights. I prefer natural light, and use the auto-focus, but like to manually set the ISO, shutter speed and f stop. Images have actually been out of focus when set at 1/160, and the F stop at F8, or F 11. But I have gotten portraits in focus in low lighting when I set my camera at 1/60, and F stop at 3/5! Something goes crazy when I photograph outside.

2. Kathy K

Kathy K New Member

Out of Focus Natural Light Only

Also, forgot to add that I was told to switch from a zoom lens to a fixed lens. Bought a Nikon 50 mm, 1/4, still have the same problems with images out of focus outside! Again, all natural light. When I photograph inside with low lighting, I get nice results.

3. Knobby

Knobby New Member

Strange, what lens are you using and what sort of shutter speeds are you getting. The af system on the D200 is quite complex, I would try the single point af as a starting point and see how that acts ( dynamic modes may be focussing on some thing in front or behind the subject)

good luck

Gaz