DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

My Aria has problems

Yeah well some of those electronics are kind of cool. I got a ST to use in place of my Aria, but as I had such good experience with the Aria and it has sentimental value I sent it to Tocad and they are repairing it now for $173. Now I want a Fuji 6x9 rangefinder.

Oh, I agree completely. I have an RTS III, RX, AX, S2 and Aria. If any of the first three need repair I'll send it in. The S2 and Aria I'm kind of ambivalent about though. I think if my Aria died I'd be more likely to sell it for parts and get another RX. I haven't used the S2 enough to know if I'd miss it.

How well does the AX work? I thought about one of those but the price was more and I figured that would be something to fail eventually. I am happy with my ST but the Aria was really a better camera. Never used a RX and really wanted a RTSIII back when I shot film for work, would like it now also but I'll be happy with the two I have.

I like my AX, but I realise that when it fails, it'll probably be easier (or cheaper) to buy another one. The one big selling point for me is that the front elements of the lenses remain in the same place when focusing, so filters are much easier to use than on the RTS II I also own.

Nick

The AX is an excellent camera, but it's a big meaty handful. Autofocus isn't fast by modern standards, but works well enough for its age. Its design also gives it a minor advantage in macro work, as the 10mm movement of the film plane gives the camera a built-in 10mm extension tube. I've never used that feature.

hi,
i have a RX, Aria, ans S2; very fine camera. i am waiting for an AX these days.
i think that all electronic camera will duy and could not be repaired. i do not know if contax japanese cameras are worse than others.
for me it is the solution to use fabulous zeiss lenses and film cameras.
but maybe the S2 will be the one i will keep in the future (manual camera).

I originally picked up an S2 for just that reason, it'll be the last Contax body in my arsenal to die. However I recently discovered I can mount the C/Y lenses on my EOS bodies with an adapter, so all is good.

Back