DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Proper storage of Ilford films

M

mikel

Hey!

I learned a new thing today and wanted to share it with forum members. Some may already know this, but I personally didn't.

Apparently, when it comes to storage of Ilford films, freezing is not recommended and can be potentially harmful. That was news to me, since I have been using Fuji for a very long time and their long-term storage recommendation for professional film (at least what I'm using - Provia, Velvia, NPS, NPH, NPZ) is to keep unexposed film frozen.

[ NOTE: Reala should never be frozen or refrigerated ]

So, since I started using Ilford films recently, I was trying to find out what are the proper storage conditions for it. I couldn't find out whether freezing is okay with Ilford film from information provided on their website, so I sent inquiry to Ilford in UK. I got a very prompt and courteous response and was told that freezing Ilford film is not recommended.

Below is excerpt from the response I got:
[BEGIN EMAIL]
Thank you for your e-mail.

Ideal storage temperature for film is 10 C at about 50% RH.

If it is frozen there is a possibility that the base may become brittle and the plasticisers leech out. Also it is possible that problems will be experienced with d&ness when they are warmed to ambient temperature.
[END EMAIL]

The latter part about d&ness applies to most film, so usually if I keep Fuji films frozen, I remove them from freezer and put into refrigerator for 24 hours, then take them out of refrigerator and let them reach ambient temperature for 4-8 hours and only then I open the canister and use it. For that reason I always have few rolls in the refrigerator and few in the freezer (Although it so happens that I use rolls of NPS160 very fast, so I usually never put it inside freezer).

Hope it will be useful information for some.

Mike.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for that bit of interesting information.
I always keep my film in the fridge (including Reala - oh dear! but I never freeze it as I think that would be too drastic. It keeps for years well past its sell by date just in a drawer in my long suffering wife's fridge. It only seems to need about a quarter of an hour to warm up from the fridge to use in a camera with no condensation.
Cheers,
John
P.S. Any idea why Reala should not go in the fridge?

John,

I wait for so long after removing it from fridge only to be on the safe side. As far as I remember, Fuji recommends to wait for an hour or so. But I simply want to be more cautious, since I wouldn't want my pictures ruined just because I was so impatient.

As far as Reala is concerned, I actually need to correct myself. As far as I know, it should not be stored in refrigerator or freezer. I think I got this info from Fuji rep some time ago.

There is simply no spec sheet for Reala on Fuji's site (at least I haven't seen it). However, it's largely based on Superia's emulsion and thus it might be similar in many ways. The tricky part here is that technically Reala is semi-professional film. Not exactly consumer type, while not exactly professional type at the same time. The main difference between professional and consumer films is in their color balance and sensitivity. Professional films are designed for most accurate color reproduction and correct sensitivities, whereis consumer film is designed to allow it to be used in adverse conditions, not exposed properly, etc. So, say consumer ISO100 film reaches the factory with real sensitivity over ISO100. Sometimes as sensitive as ISO400 and with some exaggeration in colors. Over time, when this film sits on the shelves of pharmacies, grocery stores, etc (or in the user's camera, where they manage to shoot two birthday parties for the same person in two different years before they finally bring it to the lab!) it loses its sensitivity and color reproduction capabilities. Emulsion is "aging" basically and losing its properties. So, since it was designed to be stored at normal temperatures (and thus "riping" to the correct sensitivity/color all by itself) it would be counterproductive to freeze it or keep refrigerated, because you slow down this process by storing it in cold conditions.

I don't know how to explain it very well, but I hope you get an idea ;)

Also, I just checked Fuji specs for Superia. They say:
"Unprocessed Film
Storing exposed or unexposed film under high
temperature and humidity conditions will cause
adverse speed, color balance and physical property
changes. Store film under the following conditions.
Ordinary Storage: Protect from heat.
Long-term Storage: Below 0°C (32°F)"

So, they do recommend it to be stored under Zero Celcius for long-term storage, which usually means beyond normal expiration date, but the regular storage conditions don't require refrigeration.

I would think it's the same for Reala.

Mike.

> Also, I just checked Fuji specs for Superia. They say: > "Unprocessed Film > Storing exposed or unexposed film under high > temperature and humidity conditions will cause > adverse speed, color balance and physical property > changes. Store film under the following conditions. > Ordinary Storage: Protect from heat. > Long-term Storage: Below 0°C (32°F)" >

For Superia Reala they say the same.

Thanks for the helpful information Mike. I certainly hadn't appreciated that storing consumer film in the fridge might actually be counter productive nor that sometimes it should be actually frozen although I don't usually store it long term, just a few months.
Cheers,
John

Small correction first. When I said "So, say consumer ISO100 film reaches the factory with real sensitivity over ISO100" I obviously meant
"So, say consumer ISO100 film LEAVES the factory with real sensitivity over ISO100" ;)

Sergiy,

Where did you find the spec sheet for it? Fujifilm UK?

John,

You're welcome.

Mike.

Back