DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Imagekind.com

Steaphany

I recently joined Imagekind who produce on-demand Giclée fine art prints, offering optional matting and framing, Canvas Prints, and greeting cards. After exploring photo hosting sites like Webshots.com and Stock Photo sites like Cutcaster.com and istockphoto.com, I've decided to go with Imagekind because they have a more acceptable and potentially more profitable business model. A nice advantage of Imagekind is they are not limited by medium and accepts photographic and other art forms as well. They also allow the photographer or artist to set their own profit margin.

Regarding SD14 image specifics and what is needed to best utilize Imagekind, I shoot everything, apart from time lapse, in 2640 x 1760 RAW. In preparation for uploading to Imagekind, I go back to the X3F file and save my SPP output as 16 bit per channel TIF format, something that I have not been doing consistently up to this point. From there, I optionally perform additional manipulations in Photoshop and for some image versions I use Nik Software's Silver Efex Pro. To convert the final image to the form I upload to Imagekind, I use QImage Studio Edition to process the resolution to an artifact free 10560 x 7040 high quality/low compression JPG. Once uploaded to Imagekind, this image size, typically a file of 20MB to 30MB, allows for their maximum print size of 60" x 40".

In case anyone here is interested, I just created a group under the Imagekind communities for Sigma Camera Users.

The link is http:// groups.imagekind.com/sigma

Of course you'll need to be a member of Imagekind to participate and contribute to this group. I do not see this group being any competition to this, or any other forum. In contrast, since the group is publicly accessible, it can be a way to showcase our work to people unfamiliar with the Foveon technology and Sigma cameras. The group supports discussions, but I feel it is more appropriate for photos.

To include a photo in the group, you'll need to be an Imagekind member, created a gallery, and have uploaded photos. Remember, images that you upload can be at the full SD14 resolution or even larger, all the images that I've uploaded to Imagekind are 10560 x 7040. This means that reducing the pixel dimensions or image quality to get them to fit somewhere is no longer an issue and it is in your best interest to have the best possible images uploaded. Someone may fall in love with one of your photos and buy a framed print to hang in their living room.

Once you have joined the group, you can click on the "Add an Image" button which will allow you to select the gallery and an image contained in the gallery. The image will then be added to the group's image collection. An advantage with Imagekind, regardless of having a free or paid membership level, is no limit on the number of images that you can upload to your galleries or include into the groups that you belong to.

This can be a great way to draw people from out side of our small Sigma community into appreciating something we've known all along. Plus, with a bit of exposure to what is possible with a Sigma camera, you may find your work can earn you a dollar or two in print sales.

Thanks very much for this info! I just signed up for the free account to try out the service!

This site seems very similar to www.allposters.com?? Are you aware of the dfferences between the two? Please do reply if you have additional information!

Stay well.
Sendhil.

Sorry, I have no experience with allposters.com. I took a quick look and right off, I do not see how I could join to submit my images to be sold along with those of Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali, and Vincent van Gogh or their collection of movie posters.

Hi Steaphany,

I do not see any advantages of the imagekind site except if you want to sell your images.

Regarding sharing and discussing images is a lot better within the Sigma community here. Otherwise you will have soon again all these brand wars, we are able to eliminate with our forum structure here.

I think the numbers count for themselves. We have at the moment over 700 real Sigma users here at Sigmauserforum.com. Even over the past 2-3 months during summer a couple of hundred new users joined us. And we keep growing each day. This prooves that this is the best concept for Sigma users to present and discus there images here ;)

At the moment, we are not planning to introduce features to sell your images to someone else within this forum. So if you want to sell images, imagekind et alii is defenitely one of several possibilities. But I did not check their ToU.

Best wishes

I agree with all points Dirk, I'm just hoping that I can make a dollar or two from an occasional print sale. Imagekind does allow the photographer to set their profit margin, which is a plus compared to stock photo site revenue sharing plans.

With the combined skill and talent of the membership, I felt that others here would appreciate learning from my experiences and potentially benefit from having an online gallery where they could sell their work. I gain nothing from sharing this information about Imagekind.

Prior to my joining Imagekind, they lacked a Sigma camera users group and I also had to create a group for astronomical photography.

Back