DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica M11 with 28mm or Leica Q3?

dirk

DPRF-Founder
Administrator
It is getting close. Looking at the significant price difference, some people will think about buying a Q3 instead of a M11 with 28mm.

I mean if you shoot mainly with 28mm, you save a lot of money, have AF and a lens, that does not exist for the M system.

What do you think?

Q3 represents good value against M11+28mm, if you give up M versatility.
I have a feeling that Leica has already drafted a Q with 28mm and 56mm dual lens for future. :)

I have a feeling that Leica has already drafted a Q with 28mm and 56mm dual lens for future

In one body? I think this would make the camera too big.

But maybe two different versions, like the Ricoh GR3 and GR3x?

Q3 represents good value against M11+28mm, if you give up M versatility.
I have a feeling that Leica has already drafted a Q with 28mm and 56mm dual lens for future. :)
What sort of Frankenstein camera would that look like? Better for them to put a zoom on it, or maybe make the lenses swappable (hang on - sounds like an M11).

What sort of Frankenstein camera would that look like? Better for them to put a zoom on it, or maybe make the lenses swappable (hang on - sounds like an M11).
It wont be anything likeFrakenstein, I think it should be no bigger that existing Q size.

Yes in one body! I imagine the lens unit will not be bigger than the current Summicron.

I do not think so. If you want to have a lens or a zoom with autofocus which is able to deliver great images on a 60MP fullframe sensor, that lens will be huge. It might be smaller than the same lens on a MLU, but still it will be big. Look at the best lenses out there in L-Mount, Nikon, Sony etc. They are all big.

I do not think so. If you want to have a lens or a zoom with autofocus which is able to deliver great images on a 60MP fullframe sensor, that lens will be huge. It might be smaller than the same lens on a MLU, but still it will be big. Look at the best lenses out there in L-Mount, Nikon, Sony etc. They are all big.
No its not about any zzom lens on Q design. A dual focal lenswont be much bigger. It might add a few milimeters. And a collapsible design will be truly pocketable.

It might add a few milimeters. And a collapsible design will be truly pocketable.

It would surprise me, if that would be technically possible. Maybe with F4, but not with F1.7, which is the attraction of the Leica Q/Q2/Q3.

If you look at the old Leica Tri-Elmar 28-35-50, this was an F4 lens for Leica M and it was despite of the aperture a big lens for an M lens. See the data here:

It is getting close. Looking at the significant price difference, some people will think about buying a Q3 instead of a M11 with 28mm.

I mean if you shoot mainly with 28mm, you save a lot of money, have AF and a lens, that does not exist for the M system.

What do you think?
What you suggest is sound reasoning. Get Q with Summilux 28 and you have a great range. I did that and found it wasn’t for me, for no particular reason, so I sold my new q2 and bought the Summicron 35 for my M11 and I’m far happier. You could rent a Q3 and see if it’s for you.

Back