DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica II lens info

putnasaur

Hey everyone -- I just bought a Leica II that came with a 50mm f/3.5 lens. Last week I bought a 35mm f/3.5 in Vancouver. Do I need a viewfinder for the 35mm or can I just use the camera's composition window? Thanks in advance for all responses.

Bill.

Dear Bill,

You will need a viewfinder of which Leitz made a number. Which one depends on how 'original' you wish to be.

What is the serial number of the camera? and are the fittings nickel or chrome?

The best all-rounder would be the VIDOM which was made in both nickel and chrome. It will also be of use if and when you acquire other focal lengths.

Regards,

Justin

Thanks, Justin. What's the difference between the chrome and nickel? I don't have the camera here in front of me but it looks nickel (it's all black but some of the black laquer has been rubbed off). I can send the serial number later.

Bill.

Hi Bill

The VIDOM finder matches the age of the Leica II however the later VIOOH is a better finder as, unlike the VIDOM, it does not reverse the image laterally. As Justin said it depends how original you want to be. Both finders have manual parallax correction and both work by masking (cropping) the image as the focal length increases. If you intend to stick to your 35mm lens this does not matter as 35mm is the largest area of the finder.

I understand the Russian turret finders regularly advertised on ebay are pretty good as is the Zeiss KM2 but I have no experience of these. I understand these are zoom finders so that you always have the full viewfinder image area at each focal length.

Mike

Dear Bill,

Nickel predated chrome, is not as shiny, is softer with a yellow tinge.

Mike, it is strange, but I prefer the VIDOM and use it not only reversed but with the image upside down! A more objective means of composing!

Greetings to all.

Justin

The VIDOM was/is a very common item in both nickel and chrome. Search eBay, Google, the LHSA. It is likely that the optics will need cleaning after seventy years, so do not be put off when your prized VIDOM arrives. Malcolm Taylor in England or Don Goldberg in the United States can restore it to new for little cost. Just make sure the VIDOM you buy is cosmetically perfect. E-mail me off-Forum if I can help further. jcdscott@bigpond.net.au

Justin

Back