DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which lens should I buy next

G

I am fortunate to have gotten my hands on a Contax 167MT for free. I then purchased a Zeiss 50/1.7 on e-Bay for $60. I am on a limited budget but would like to expand my horizons as I start to experiment with photography.

I have spent hours and hours on the internet and talking with another amateur photographer friend. One option is to buy used primes eg 28/2.8 and 85/2.8. Another option is to buy third party lenses, but I would obviously lose quality and lose the whole reason for using Contax in the first place.

Hi John,

I think you will find that after some time with Zeiss lenses you question will answer itself. The 85 and 28 are both very fine lenses - and not a lot more expensive than the 50.

Good luck.

Jakob

Hello John,
the next lens you choose will depend on your photgraphy style and interests,If you like landscapes ,buildings,or other large items like aircraft on the ground then the 28mm will be your choice but if you like portraits candids the look of telephoto photos then the 85mm is your man .But it does depend on what you are going to take photos of.Having said all that you can do alot of good stuff with a 50mm.Contax are good lens and yu get a certain look with them.
Take your time ,
Marcus

I would also opt for the 2.8/28 but not for the 2.8/85. It is a really nice lens but too close to your 1.7/50. In my view, the 2.8/135 would be a far better choice, admittedly heavier but stretching your possibilities and still suitable for portraits. In fact, I for myself would choose a 24/25mm wide angle and a 200mm tele, but that's only my taste.
In any case you should test the lens before buying it to find out whether it fills your needs.
Good luck, Walther

The 28mm is one of the true bargains in the Contax line in terms of price/performance. I have found, unfortunately, that I didn't know which lens I would really use until I had them, and I've also found that I gravitate toward the wide angles with my Contax SLR and toward the 90mm lens on my rangefinder. In other words, you'll have to find out for yourself. Personally, I would add the 28mm (it's such a bargain) and get used to it for a while before adding a longer lens such as the 85, the 135 or even the 100mm f3.5, which you occasionally see used for well under $500.

Hi all

Is some one using the 35-135 on an AX ???

What is the quality of that lens ???

Sorry I am to stupid to understand graphs and tabels of lenses. Besides I do not know of one graph that has taken a good photograph
happy.gif

Regards
Jan

"Jan Viljoen schreef: Is some one using the 35-135 on an AX ??? What is the quality of that lens ??? Sorry I am to stupid to understand graphs and tabels of lenses. Besides I do not know of one graph that has taken a good photograph
happy.gif
"

And I do not know of a lens or camera that has taken a good photograph. It's always the photographer.

I have been using the 28-85 variosonnar for about 5 years now and I would recomend this one to anybody looking for a basic Zeiss zoom. A bit slow, but excellent image quality.

Hi.
I just bought a Aria body and I want to buy a couple of new lens.
I would like a 50mm ( and a wide angle too).

Im thinking of 50mm /1.8 and 28/1.2.8 maybe a 35mm 1.2.8 to start of with.
any thoughts?.

I really enjoy image quailty.

> Im thinking of 50mm /1.8 and 28/1.2.8 maybe a 35mm 1.2.8 to start of> with.> any thoughts?.

It depends on what type of photography you do as to which lenses will be best for you....... Steve

Back