DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which Peint Film To Use

G

I have seen discussions on the best slide film to use.
What would be the best recomendation for print films in the 100, 200 & 400 speed range that are available in the UK and other countries?
Should you rate them at a different iso rating to improve colour saturation?
Which is better for daylight, and which is better for evening/nighttime?
And any other points.

Here's waiting!

Paul

A question for all...
I had been hearing that modern ISO 800 films were very fine grain so I purchased some Kodak Supra 800. I am not so impressed. Even with 3" x 5" prints there is visible grain! The question is what aperture is best for finer grain? More wide open? Or more stopped down? I know for certain that the last roll was shot with medium aperture. Ideas?
Ron in NM

> I am sorry for not leaving a more thorough recommendation. I have shot the Fuji NPZ 800 with both a 35 (Contax t3) and a medium format camera (mamiya 7ii) and been extremely pleased with the results. The color is very accurate, even indoor with florescent lighting. With the medium format film, I have enlarged to 8 x 10 and seen no evidence of grain whatsoever. I have enlarged to 5 x 7 with the 35 film and also seen ( to my eye) any evidence of grain. Being satisfied with a film is a very subjective experience. All I can say is that I have been pleased with this film and recommend to anyone who has yet to try it to go out, buy a roll or two, and give it a chance. I think you will be very pleased with the results, especially portrait- whether indoor or indoor.

Thanks Ron, the Fuji sounds great, I will try that. Is it a UK available film? Has anybody got a favourite 100 to 400 film?

Paul, I've tried many print films over the past several years and have settled on Fuji NPS 160 for general use because it is very sharp and has great colours. When the light gets a bit low, Fuji NPH 400 performs very well in terms of sharpness and grain, except in blue sky areas of an image. I no longer use NPH when I know there'll be some sky in the image. NPH renders a very grainy and murky blue sky, compared to NPS. While travelling, pro films like NPS and NPH may not be readily available, so I then use Fuji Reala 100 and Fuji Superia 200. Both of these films are readily available in consumer outlets, and are very sharp with great colour rendition. Fuji's print films have a unique cyan "fourth colour layer" which allows reproduction of much more natural colours, especially under artificial lighting. Finally, it is very important to consider how well a film can be scanned. The Fuji print films scan very well in my Nikon Coolscan LS-2000. I have tried various Kodak films in the past, but always regretted it. I use Fuji films exclusively now. I should mention that I don't use so much print film these days. I much prefer working with slide film - Fuji Astia 100 and Fuji Provia 400 are the standard films in my bag. I reserve the print films for my point and shoot compact cameras.

I can recommend you to download the spec. sheets for all the pro films from the Fuji web site. They are downloadable as pdf files which you can then print out and study at your leisure. They are very informative.

Paul, I like Fuji NPS160 too + a polarizer. I would recommend to give the newer Fuji NPC 160 Prof. at E.I. 100. for punchy colors. My standard films indoors & outdors are Kodak Portra 400NC (not VC!) and for slides the Fuji Provia 400F [RHPIII ?]. Greetings from Switzerland, Rainer Nagel

Back