DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

14mm Yey or Ney

Vetuv

First Id like to introduce myself since this is my first post. Im Kyle =P. I was looking for info on the 14mm and was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled over this site. Ive just recently (beginning of february) got a Sigma Sd 14 with the 30mm and absolutely love it. I was going to get something fancier though a lot of the times I will be interested in something then weeks later get bored of it. I couldn't justify spending over a thousand dollars on a hobby that I might not stick with, plus the deal on amazon for the sd14 was too good to pass up. Now since Ive taken a few pictures and seem to really enjoy it I thought I would get a new lens. I really like the idea of an really wide piece of glass but I don't know if its necessary for me. Also, I hate to say this in my first post but If I do really enjoy photography in a six months to a year I might debate bumping up to a full frame dslr, something like the d700 and would hate to have all this gear for the sd14. Lastly since I only have a very limited knowledge of taking photos I anticipate being frustrated with having two lenses and not knowing which one to use. Or constantly switching between the two for each shot. So Im looking for some guidance on what to do. Should I hold out on a second lens and anticipate changing bodies and in the mean time take two pictures(and stitch them together) if im cramped with the 30mm. Or should I splurge on a new lens, use it as a learning opportunity for my photography and deal with the gear later. I would really appreciate any feedback. The 105mm macro is also on my radar.

And if anyone is interested here are some of my sd14 shots. http://www.flickr.com/photos/29560851@N06/sets/72157606717648637/

Hi Kyle,
welcome to the forum.
Take your time and go through the postings and you will find quite a few issues on the lenes in question.
I have the 30mm myself and like it,beside that one I decided for a 10-20mm
for more flexibility,although it is not as fast as the 14mm.
Also stand by for the comments from the experts. :)
In future,please upload pictures directly,as external links will be deleated.
"""""""""
Dear ..............,

sorry, but we do not allow links to images or copy/paste image into the forum. The reason is, that after a while the links are broken and all discussions about images are worthless.

We want to have meaningful discussions within our forums also for new users in i.e. 3 months from now. This is only possible, if we have the images here uploaded on our forum server without external links.

Therefore all images for image discussions have to be uploaded directly here in the forum on our server. We delete all other links to images. The same counts for for links to the images on our CI gallery.

Thanks for your understanding in advance

Best wishes

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Good luck and nice pictures
Regards
Uwe

Kyle,

I would agree with Uwe....get a 10-20mm for the wide shots...or maybe an 18-50mm f2.8....that would be a great walk around lens...good for low-light wide shots and you have the ability to zoom to 50mm....

I own both a Nikon and Sigma system...I will tell you keep both there are times when the Nikon comes in handy....and when I love the colors....nothing beats the SD14.....

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your images...

Tony C.

Has anyone concidered to take a DP1 instead?
With its 16mm lens it is an alternate to just a single lens.
Over here in Germany the price is lower than a 14mm or 10-20mm lens.
Think about it.
Regards
Uwe

Hi Kyle,

Nice pics on Flickr!

Although I can not speak from experience, the 10-20mm or 18-50 are good choices. However, my next intended purchase is the 10-20, since I have 18-200 and 17-35, but would like to go wider.
My personal experience, I still own my canon film 35mm from the 80's, and digital systems canon and sigma. I find a usefulness in each system and enjoy them.

On the other hand, if you are uncertain about sticking with this hobby, I might suggest holding off on the purchase for a few months and see if your point of view towards photography changes. However, my opinion of your hobby, from what I see on your Flickr, is a creative eye and technical ability. You enjoy photography now, and probably always will. If you have the gear, you will probably use it.

Subsequently, having more than one lens will expand your creativity....stay with one till you learn it well, then learn another. With experience, you will know by second nature which to use depending on what you want to create in the image.

Good luck with your hobby,

Robert

Hi Uwe,

Thank you for the suggestion about the DP1. I checked Amazon, between the DP1 and 10-20mm, the prices are looking pretty similar. Its a close call, having a dedicated wide body would save a lens change, as the SD14 could then be used more for telephoto. I will give it more thought in the next couple of months, as I have not yet totally committed myself to the purchase of the lens.

happy shooting,

Robert

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think Ill hold off on another purchase of either a new lens or new body for a few months. I hope I can figure out if the d700 is worth money soon. I would really hate regretting that big of purchase.

First Id like to introduce myself since this is my first post. Im Kyle =P. I was looking for info on the 14mm and was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled over this site. Ive just recently (beginning of february) got a Sigma Sd 14 with the 30mm and absolutely love it. I was going to get something fancier though a lot of the times I will be interested in something then weeks later get bored of it. I couldn't justify spending over a thousand dollars on a hobby that I might not stick with, plus the deal on amazon for the sd14 was too good to pass up. Now since Ive taken a few pictures and seem to really enjoy it I thought I would get a new lens. I really like the idea of an really wide piece of glass but I don't know if its necessary for me. Also, I hate to say this in my first post but If I do really enjoy photography in a six months to a year I might debate bumping up to a full frame dslr, something like the d700 and would hate to have all this gear for the sd14. Lastly since I only have a very limited knowledge of taking photos I anticipate being frustrated with having two lenses and not knowing which one to use. Or constantly switching between the two for each shot. So Im looking for some guidance on what to do. Should I hold out on a second lens and anticipate changing bodies and in the mean time take two pictures(and stitch them together) if im cramped with the 30mm. Or should I splurge on a new lens, use it as a learning opportunity for my photography and deal with the gear later. I would really appreciate any feedback. The 105mm macro is also on my radar.

And if anyone is interested here are some of my sd14 shots. http://www.flickr.com/photos/29560851@N06/sets/72157606717648637/

I have a Sigma 14mm f3.5 rectalinear, which was relatively cheap to buy on ebay (about £85), but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as its lower on contrast than I'd like and easily flares.
I bought it with an FD mount and converted it to M42 mount.
The later and faster 14mm f2.8 is much better but dont expect to find a cheap one.

Also, I hate to say this in my first post but If I do really enjoy photography in a six months to a year I might debate bumping up to a full frame dslr, something like the d700 and would hate to have all this gear for the sd14.

Dont buy Sigma lenses for your SD14 and you wont have to worry about it.
Much better to get lenses that can be used on virtually any camera because that way your not tied to any particular camera brand and you can make comparisons of the same lens of different cameras to guage which has the best image quality.
Here are some of the lenses I use on my SD10 and SD14 at the moment. (Where it states "Uni" it means the lens has a universal mount that can be used on virtually any brand of camera, simply by using the brand related mount adapter):

Sigma 14mm f3.5 (M42 mount) (Uni)
Tamron SP 17mm f3.5 (Tamron Adaptall mount) (Uni)
Tokina 17mm f3.5 RMC (M42) (Uni)
Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Distagon T* (Sigma SA mount)
Nikon 35mm f1.4 Ai-S (Sigma SA mount)
Canon FL 55mm f1.2 (Sigma SA mount)
Nikon Micro Nikkor 55mm f2.8 Ai-S (Nikon F mount)
Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Planar T* (Sigma SA mount)
Helios 40 85mm f1.5 (M42) (Uni)
Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 Macro (Tamron Adaptall mount) (Uni)
Nikon 105mm f2.5 Ai-S (Sigma SA mount)ro
Sigmatel Multi Scalematic 135mm f1.8 (M42) (Uni)
Carl Zeiss Jena 180mm f2.8 "Olympic" Sonnar (P6-M42 mount) (Uni)
Nikon Micro Nikkor 200mm f4 ED IF AI-S (Nikon F mount)
Tamron SP 300mm f2.8 LD IF (Tamron Adaptall mount) (Uni)
MTO 1000A 1100mm f10.5 (T2 mount) (Uni)

Back