DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

14x Mutar opinions wanted

maqui

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum with my first post and new to the 645 medium format. I shoot a wide range of subjects but mainly nature and landscape. I am on the Hassy forum for my Xpan II and I also have 35mm and D100 SLRs. My Contax set has 80, 45, 140 and 210 lenses. I am missing the long reach that I am used to in my other systems. My question is what is your opinion on the 1.4x Mutar for the 140 and 210? Is there any light loss and/or sharpness? Good and bad opinions wanted. I recently took the Contax out for a photo road trip and really liked what I experienced. It took a little getting used to just like my experience from digital to Xpan. Though the camera is a bit heavy, I just love the sound of the shutter being released. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Regards,
Mike

Hello Mike

There certainly is some loss in either, sharpness and light. I guess your f4 lenses would be f5.6. I don't have the Mutar but I know from the Canon 2x Extender that you loose very much of the sharpness! The Mutar should be better because it's "only" x1.4. My Contax catalogue, which I don't have any more, listed all the combinations possible with the Mutar I. As far as I can remember, the Mutar I takes pretty all lenses but with very different results. Only a few tele lenses are really recommended to be used with the Mutar. That's all I know.

Greets M;los

Back