DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

News I picked up a Chicago-built Schwinn bike from the 70s

Smaug

DPRF-Patron
In a fit of nostalgia. It was the 18,379th bike out of the Chicago factory in May 1972.

I just love all the attention to detail. The rich, metallic lime green paint, the screwed-on head badge and the heavy-duty construction.

A steal at $50, even if I have to put a couple hundred into it to make it right. (it needs wheel work or new wheels, cables and a comfortable seat)

I'm ready for the test ride:
IMG-4316.JPG
  • Apple - iPhone 12 Pro
  • iPhone 12 Pro back triple camera 4.2mm f/1.6
  • 4.2 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/458 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 32

Full side view:
IMG-4317.JPG
  • Apple - iPhone 12 Pro
  • 4.2 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/120 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 125

Screwed-on head badges are a think of the past; got to save that last ounce of weight!
IMG-4319.JPG
  • Apple - iPhone 12 Pro
  • iPhone 12 Pro back triple camera 6mm f/2
  • 6.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/120 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 125

I love these fonts! I had planned to replace the super-heavy, blocky pedals, but they turn very smoothly. I'm going to have to think on it. Don't you love these fonts?
IMG-4321.JPG
  • Apple - iPhone 12 Pro
  • 4.2 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/60 sec
  • Spot
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 80

Just look at that paint!
IMG-4322.JPG
  • Apple - iPhone 12 Pro
  • 4.2 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

I haven't decided if I'll fix it up myself or have the local shop do it. These old Schwinns use different hardware than modern bikes, but the local shop has been in business for over 40 years. The owner is trying to sell it, but is having problems with the state EPA, (Environmental Protection Agency, as there was a gas station next door in the 70s) so it's on hold and he has to keep working.

We used to travel on the bikes similar to this, but different brand called "Sputhik" back in 70s-80s.
img038-Edit-Edit.jpg

When I was a teenager, my family had a Schwinn bicycle built for two. I suggest if you’ve had a few too many, wear dentures & ride a bike…..close your mouth! (Not me but a friend).

Back