DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

IIIF and older shutters

G

Have any of you had to replace the shutter on a Banark model recently? I bought a IIIF RD on E-bay and found it had minute light leaks. I tried to patch them with liquid rubber with some degree of success. Finally, I sent it to Strauss in DC and had a new shutter put in. I hear that the pre-war shutters are actually better than those like mine that are post war. Any comments?

JohnERobertson

> Four years ago I got a pristine IIIf with cracked curtains for a very low price. Had them replaced by Essex Camera Service of Calstadt NJ. Cost of the shutters plus CLA was $188. The IIIf has worked beautifully since then. The curtains are of different material than the originals but do the job perfectly. If memory serves me, they have a web site where you can get an estimate online. Hope this helps.

--Jorge.

> [Hi Jorge - Like yourself - I recently acquired a IIIf BD with 50/2 Summitar Lens. Had it sent for CLA and waiting for its return to put it through its paces. Did you experience loading problem and do you use the film cutting template? Best regards Joseph Low

Hi Joseph,

The camera (IIIf) has been working perfectly since it returned. At first I was puzzled by the strange loading procedure but I mastered it after awhile. I don't have the leader cutting template, just use the scissors from a Victorinox "SwissCard" that resides in the camera's bag.

Regards,

--Jorge.

> [Hi Jorge - thanks for your reassuring reply - I am looking forward to using it after its return from CLA - Best regards - Joseph Low

Hi Joseph,

Sorry for the teardy reply... Traveling on business. No, I rarelly experience any loading problems and no I don't have the cutting template. I use the scissors of a small pocket knife.

--Jorge.

Hi,
just to add my experience: try to follow the method described in Cameraquest.com.
It simply use the "T" pose to position evenly the film through the gates: it works perfectly and doesn't require any film cutting!
And yes, you have to remove not only the baseplate but also the lens..

ciao
k

I lost my cutting template about two years ago after putting down outside from cutting and loading a new film. Of course, when i went back five minutes later it was gone. I went into Jessops Classic in London to see if they have another one to buy. The man behind the counter said; "why do you think you need one?" He then showed me that if you put a very thin plastic coated visiting card with rounded corners (not difficult to make) over the sprocket teeth, the film slides right down to its proper position and then the card is slid gently out. The film then seats itself correctly over the sprockets. I queried if there was any risk to the shutter blind and he said that he had never known one to be damaged by this procedure. I have been using it ever since. I use my UK National Trust Membership Card which is just the right size and thickness. Hope this helps. Wilson

<font size="+1"> <font face="times new roman,times,roman"><font color="0000ff"> Loading the screw mounts can be an exercise in patience. One easy solution is to open the shutter curtains, on B or T, and visually check the position of the film. You should not see sprockets.

Back