DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax at PMA 2004 Not good

I had my N1 AF sensor adjusted under warrenty. I got my camera back within two weeks. The other time I sent my 24-85mm zoom to tighten the zoom ring, I got my lens back in one week. Both repair works were great.

Taylor, I got an USED NAM-1 from a dealer and it did not focus correct. Although I was not sure it was my N1 or the adapter, but I got a new one and it works perfectly. The NAM-1 fits into the N1 and ND pretty will. I usually mount the 120mm or 80mm C645 lenses for portrait or product shoot. One of the greatest thing about the N system is being able to use the C645 lenses. Contax got some design right in this case.

When I have time, I will mount the huge 45-90mm zoom or the 35mm lens to the ND and see how they perform.

Albert.

Hello Albert,

Thanks for the input. My N1 has no focus problem, so my question is how sturdy NAM-1 is physically. I've already placed an order for a used NAM-1 from KEH, and I'll see how it works when I get it.

Taylor-

I was having trouble with the electronic connection between the camera and the lens. The autofocus and aperture readings would not work I shoot manual but I want my stuff to function properly). My beloved ND was fine and the NAM-1 needed a new ring. FYI. I just bought two more NAM-1 adapters so that I can leave them on my MF mount lenses when I am using the ND exclusively. The NAM-1 has a nice tight fit but it is a bugger to remove and when I want to move I don't want to mess with the adapter I want to shoot.

DJ- Is there some way I can get your email so I can give you my contacts at Kyocera? You have to be diligent when you call. I always keep notes and phone numbers when I talk to people (even an assistant...kill them with kindness and they will help you with anything) there so that I can get service asap. This is no different than other big companies. You just have to work their system. Contact me at my website www.larsonphotographic.com (sorry it is such a mess right now. I'm too busy!).

FYI. I just checked my ND against my Pentax Digital Spotmeter and the ND with firmware 1.07 is right on the money. The more I use this camera the more puzzled I am that they aren't making it. I pick it up in preference to my 1DS and it shouldn't even be a fair comparison. I just like the images better from the ND. I don't need MTF charts or any of that other garbage that tells me what my eyes can't see.

--Greg "Al" Larson

Thanks Greg. I see the problem mainly lies with the electrical contacts. So long as I keep them clean I should have fewer problems, I presume. Well, let's see how my NAM-1 work and go from there.

Greg,

You can reach me through my website:

http://improbablystructuredlayers.net

Just go to the Webmaster. Or you can private-message me through my Contaxinfo profile. Thanks.

My concern is more on the availability of the part than about Contax support, which has been excellent in the few times I have required it.

Cheers,

DJ

I think Kyocera may know exactly what it is doing. The high end Contax line was a favorite of a previous president. When he left, the brand became orphaned. They seem to be repositioning the brand towards point and shoot, which is more compatible with Kocera's other camera products. How much true R&D is left Kyocera that focuses on Contax? Are they really interested in keeping Contax competitive with Nikon, Canon, Fuji, etc. in the digital game? Are the folks that developed the N System as a precursor to a full chip digital system even working at Kyocera on Cotax related development or are they in Siberia for their mismanagement? I hope I am wrong.

Back