DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Vario 28 70180 with R8 or R9

G

Has any one had any experience with the Vario elmarit 2.8 70 180 vario lens coupled with the R8 and R9

I understand the lens has good reports for a zoom. I'm wonderring how it handels with the R8 and lighter R9 respectively.

Thanks in advance

Craig J. Smith

Hi Craig: Before going for the 2.8 70-180 I would strongly urge you to look at the 4.0 80-200. Although several stops slower, the lens is a magnificent performer, is easily hand -held, and is reasonably priced both used, new, and as a demo. I have used the lens for several years, and have been very pleased. Others on the thread have also used this lens and have commented favorably.

Thanks Elliot

The rub of my problem is, I want to use the lens for theater photography (available dark stuff to someone else) and the extra speed of the f2.8 would be handy. How does the 4.o 80-200 and the 2.8 70-180 compare in optical performance? Choices choices.

Craig J. Smith

Hiagain Craig:

Fully understand.....but, according to Erwin in his magical book, "The handling of this lens ( the vario 2.8/70-180 ) demands strong shoulders. At almost 2kg it is weighty evidence that optical performance does not come easy." So....in a theatre, without a tripod...well, the only way to be sure is to pick up the lens, and try it Craig. Let us know how you decide, and how the results are. BTW...I should think performance with the R8 and R9 would be identical unless flash is being used ( and such is unlikely in a theatre setting I guess ).

You will be more then happy with the optical performance of the 80-200; perhaps someone else would venture an opinion, especially one who has the 2.8 that you covet.

Good luck.

Elliot

I've found the inertia of a heavy set up can be useful in getting usable results at slow SSs, about 1/4 sec. The problem with Leica SLRs after the SL models was that they are too light. 3 kgs is fine by me as long as the combo is well ballenced. But I take your point I know good photographers mainly female who have trouble picking up a Nikon F4 with 80-200ED glass. let alone use it.

regards craig

There is no doubt that the optical performance of the 70mm-180mm is superb. It is especially superior in performance wide open when compared to the 80mm-200mm (or anything else).

E. Puts notes that it is the equal of primes. So, if you will really use the f2.8, it is the choice for you. The lens also has superior resistance to flare, a problem you might encounter with stage lights.

I agree that the 80mm-200mm is a fine lens and considering the cost differential a justifiable choice if f4 is usable.

I have used the 70mm-180mm with the R8 and the weight may be a thing to get used to initially but the combination balances perfectly in hand and is quite easy to hand hold. The bulk of the R8 (and R9) compliments the lens well. Remember, the R9 is only 3 ounces lighter, hardly a noticible difference with this combination.

I would never trade my 70mm-180mm, it's a keeper.

Thanks heaps for responding Elliot and Thom. excellent info.

I have had a good cruise around the Putts site but couldn't find details of which cameras he has used to test various lenses. Its probably in there somewhere. BTW Introduced my self to an R9 in a dealers today. Big step for me the last time I seriously looked at an R was when Leica bought out the RE.
The R9 has a nice feel. For a "heavy" camera it is very light! the weight figures don't register until you try it out.

Oh well there goes my pention fund. I'll let you know how it performs in the nasty theater environment.

Thank you again all

craig

I've had the 70-180, unfortuantely no longer as I had to sell it to finance my business.

I'm no strongman, but in my experience the weight of the lens is no real issue. It is a heavy beast, but this actually helps in keeping the lens steady when hand holding. The lens really is beyond comparison to anything, at a pinch it is actually better than the 100mm apo macro at 100mm!!

Have never used the 80-200 but by all accounts this lens is very good; however if your funds can stretch to the biggie 2.8 then go for it, it really is that good!

Back