DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Nikon Coolpix 5700 indoors photos too dark

dcaridade

I just bought a Cooplix 5700 and I can't figure out how to make my indoor pictures brighter without using the flash. Can anyone give me any input on this?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

try to set ISO on 800.
Don't you have problems with auto focus??
Are the indoor pictures in focus??

They are in focus, but very dark. I tried increasing ISO to 400 but they came out too noisy. I only seem to get good pictures using the speedlight flash. Are there any adjustments one can do to correct this problem?

Are you aware of the Exposure Compensation button? It is on top of the camera, right behind the word "OFF". Hold down that button, turn the control knob and add exposure until the histogram sits nicely in the middle of the graph. The histogram is the most accurate and meaningful light meter ever invented, and vital for an auto-exposure camera that is so easily fooled.

Be very aware of what is in the image. If there are actual light sources - table l&s and that sort of thing - the camera will try to preserve detail in the highlights, pushing the rest of the exposure down. The opposite is also true. Photograph a performer at a club in front of a black background and the performer will be washed out. While these situations are routinely handled with manual exposure cameras, they become highly critical when auto-exposure is relied upon. It is vital to match the subject with the background in terms of exposure levels.

Since auto-exposure seeks an average middle tone, it is up to the photographer to see what is in the picture and apply the intelligence that the camera lacks. Auto-exposure is really great, as long as the shooter's intelligence is functioning. However, it is very easy to come to rely upon it without using one's own eyes and brain, and that invariably leads to disasterous exposures. Whenever in doubt, always shoot test shots, check your histogram and adjust accordingly. The test shots can be deleted - they are the equivalent of taking a meter reading. By relying upon your histogram, superb exposures will be assured all the time.

Shooting with a digital camera is almost exactly like shooting Kodachrome in a 35mm camera. There is no latitude for over-exposure and very little latitude for under-exposure. If you are accustomed to shooting negatives, you will find that a much higher level of skill is required, along with constant vigilance and making of test shots to achieve the potential of your camera.

larry! ICQ 76620504 http://www.larry-bolch.com/

Hi,

Thanks for replying Larry. I tried using Exposure Compensation, the photos became clearer, but blurier because the camera had to compensate by lowering shutter speed to 1/8 or 1/15. I don't get it, I used to work with a Sony Cybershot DSC-P32 (amateur photo) and in the same environments I had no such problems.

What ISO setting are you using? Try using ISO400 or ISO800. Make sure you have no light sources in the image area. If there is any source of brightness, the camera will adjust the exposure for that, leaving the rest of the image dark. Make sure that your aperture is always set as close as the lens will allow to f-2.8.

You can also get sharper slow shutter-speed images by using Best Shot Selector (BSS on the menu).

I always shoot with ambient light and often in very dark environments. Even with ISO800 I often have to deal with very slow shutters. If I don't have a monopod or tripod, I rest the camera on my lap, on the arm of a chair, on a table or if I am standing, I lean against things.

larry! ICQ 76620504 http://www.larry-bolch.com/

Daniel, Larry is quite right about the ISO800 settings..as well as the tripod advice..and shouldnt be overlooked. As for the extra noise found at those levels, you might want to add a tool to your arsenal called "Neat Image" if you follow the online directions, it does an awesome job of removing the noise

http://www.neatimage.com/

Roman

Back