DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Vector Based Arts ...

Guest .

Banned
EDIT (Klaus):

Thread cut off from another source because of topic change.;)

Hi Jim,

I surely will send you a PM, as soon as I will have finished this post!

To be honest, I do not know "Adobe Illustrator" ... so I cannot quite follow your explanations ... although I would like to learn more on computer graphics.;)

I can work CS3 .... to a cedrtain extent..... but have never done things like your work! :z02_respekt: again!!!.... (respe(k)t) ... German spelling!!!:D

Both of these are pictures, I did with PS....

View attachment 203

Well, the reading glasses is exactly those, I have on my nose at this moment .... it is "drier" at the moment ... :)

Another example ....

I once shot this "pet" at a falconer .......

View attachment 204

Well, this SD9 photo did not quite satisfy me because of the background and the leg iron.
So, I took my SD14, took a shot of my apple tree and placed it!

After some retouching it came to ....

View attachment 205

See you with nice pictures

Klaus Rickert

Attachments

• -Die magische Brille-.jpg
    EXIF
    -Die magische Brille-.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Sample 9.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 9.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Sample 10.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 10.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 5
Well hello again, Klaus!

Firstly, this is beginning to go a little "Off Topic", not being much to do with Sigma cameras, so it may be appropriate to swap to the off topic forum if you wish. I guess I will leave it up to you as the moderator, my friend.

Now, you certainly are familiar with PS, nice work!

Couple of things to clarify here though. CS3 stands for Creative Suite Version 3, of which PS is but one component program. There are a number of other programs, including Illustrator (or AI) that form the complete suite. Another fine component program is InDesign (ID) and these 3 are what I use in most of my work.

AI differs from PS in that it produces vector based art, whereas PS creates bitmap based art. A vector is a mathematical calculation between two points which forms a line, also known as a path. At one point (the beginning) it commences in a controlled direction and as it approaches the second point it may (or may not) have changed direction, depending on what you intended the path to look like. All this is controlled by you with your pointing device such as a mouse. It is similar to CAD software.

You click and drag to start the first point of your path, your drag being in the direction you want the path to commence and head off to. When you decide that the control arms (which are a re-action to your original drag) are sufficient, release the mouse button (See Attachment A). Then you move the mouse to where you want to place the next control point and click and drag again ( See Attachment B).

This is all a bit bewildering at first, Klaus, I know it was for me! Bitmaps are certainly a lot easier to understand because they are so much more common! AND PS can also draw similar paths, but for my requirements, AI's drawing tools present a greater variety of tools that give me a more infinite control over the shaping of paths.

Continuing, the control points have extended handles that are used to change direction of the control point after the mouse button has been released. When a path is joined (with no gap between sart and finish) it can be filled with a colour (See Attachment E).

Then it's time to copy and paste the shape into a PS file, using the clipboard. Once in PS, I can use the tools there to create what I want the shape to look like. This is just a little demo of how I draw my classic cars.

I mainly draw them for publicity and merchandise applications for a local Chrysler show (reputed to be the biggest Chrysler show outside of the US) and it all began some 13 years ago when the organizers approached me to work for them.

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

EDIT: Attachments did not make it to the forum!

Attachments

Hi Jim,

that looks great!:)

It should be possible this way, to combine photorealistic elements with vector based graphics?!

Although .... this is certainly easier said than done ....:rolleyes:

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Sorry about the delay, Klaus, but in response to your question, Illustrator and Photoshop work together beautifully. Any object created in one can be dragged and dropped from its window into an open window of the other. It makes practically anything possible. Just let your imagination and creativity flow!

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

Back