DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica Viewfinder for 212428mm lenses

G

For users considering this well-made accessory, I thought I'd give a quick summary of my experience with it. Hope this info can be of some help.

My favourite wide-angle in the Leica M range is the 24mm. The Leica wide-angle viewfinder accomodates this, as well as the 21mm & 28mm lenses.

Pro's

- really well-made. Combination of metal & plastic/rubberized parts (eyepiece).

- clear view for all three focal lengths.

- distinct clicks from one focal length to the next.

- Price not much more than a fixed, wide-angle Leica finder.

Con's

- for some eye-glass users (like me), not possible to see the entire frame.

- unlike a brightline finder, can't see beyond the frame to see what's happening just outside the lines.

- easy to accidentally move the detent from one focal length to another & not notice until too late.

- bulky.

- front lens easily smeared or scratched.

Bottom line - currently, I'm only using the 24mm out of the three focal lengths this finder can accomodate. For me, the fixed 24mm brightline is a better choice (and the Leica 24mm can even be used with a 21mm - same finder, different lines). Also, as an eye glass user, I can't see the entire frame, which is very annoying. Once again, the fixed finder provides that.

Still, the quality of this finder is very nice. If you use a 28mm plus one or both of the other focal lengths & don't wear glasses, this is a very nice finder to use.

Back