DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What a monochrome sensor will NOT show you

Flektogon

O.K. We've already (more or less) agreed on what is an advantage of a monochrome camera/sensor. However, such pictures, like the flowers, spring/autumn colours are definitely domain of the colour cameras/sensors. Like these, I took just recently. And thanks for looking.

IMGP3369 by Peter Galan, on Flickr

IMGP3367 by Peter Galan, on Flickr

IMGP3367 by Peter Galan, on Flickr

IMGP3365 by Peter Galan, on Flickr

IMGP3364 by Peter Galan, on Flickr

IMGP1053 by Peter Galan, on Flickr

IMGP1048 by Peter Galan, on Flickr

IMGP1041 by Peter Galan, on Flickr

I like them Peter

The above thread uses color separation filters and three exposures to get color images. This works with film, and with monochrome sensors. The old "Color Separation" filters Blue, Green, and Red, are used to make 3 exposures. Combined in Photoshop or other software that allows using 3 color planes. It is interesting. I grab the M9 over the M Monochrom when I want color. I did something like this over 35 years ago.

The OP of that thread names the filters used:

The above thread uses color separation filters and three exposures to get color images. This works with film, and with monochrome sensors. The old "Color Separation" filters Blue, Green, and Red, are used to make 3 exposures. Combined in Photoshop or other software that allows using 3 color planes. It is interesting. I grab the M9 over the M Monochrom when I want color. I did something like this over 35 years ago.

The OP of that thread names the filters used:
That's very interesting. Now, if Pentax, for example, comes with a K3/III Mono-II, which could simulate those 3 filters electronically and then process such three, colour-separated images into one, coloured picture, then I am buying such monochrome camera for sure :)!

The images make the point very well folks but do not get carried away with yourselves. A simple google search in google images " Black and white rose " will display some superb examples of Black and white flowers shots even though just a small handful appeared just. I have seen a stunner before from a challenge on Dpreview of a delicate flower in black and white executed to perfection.
Wildlife photography is a massive colour only genre pretty much. WILDLIFE COLOUR IS KING. AND YET This attached Swan is not far behind the colour version though. Not very far away at all because it takes advantage of some of the qualities of black and white. Namely black and white can often describe the light. Also black and white allows you to cheat in terms of PP with this swan whereby the main feathers can be given a levels adjustment and / or curves adjustment without any worry or concern over colour corruption when in fact I have done it selectively only on the main feathers.
Your colour cameras have the massive advantage that they can shoot both colour and black and white. That is the weapon or stick with which to BEATUP / attack monochrome cameras perhaps since they only shoot boring BW photos. I do not mean to offend anyone here. You want the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Kindest Regards Dino26323

IMGP27453 .jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • 1/180 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

Happy weekend to everyone.

That's very interesting. Now, if Pentax, for example, comes with a K3/III Mono-II, which could simulate those 3 filters electronically and then process such three, colour-separated images into one, coloured picture, then I am buying such monochrome camera for sure :)!
Kodak made a device for their DCS200m camera. An optical filter wheel that attached to the camera, took the pictures in sequence, changed the filter automatically.

Maybe a good project for me when I retire. This would not be hard.

Last edited:
Kodak made a device for their DCS200m camera. An optical filter wheel that attached to the camera, took the pictures in sequence, changed the filter automatically.

Maybe a good project for me when I retire. This would not be hard.
That's great, though good only for the static pictures. It reminds me my experimentation with the colour photography. Well, in the photo stores they offered commertially made only CYM filters, and I wanted to use the additive filters for the colour prints. So I bought gelatine RGB filters and made a tool with the four rotating circles where I clued those filters (one was without filter). Then I was exposing selectively (up to 4 times) every paper sheet, and then prayed that that exposure combination finally delivered proper colours and exposure. If not, another experiment followed. Sometimes I spent the entire weekend (including the night!) to get decent enlargements.

Back