Hasselblad X1D - first impressions

Discussion in 'Hasselblad X1D' started by dirk, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Schmiddi

Schmiddi New Member

I don't see this coming too fast - if ever: there is no shutter, and for now there is no electronic shutter (if even possible with this sensor). So only lenses with shutter inside are an option. Rolleiflex 6000? Well, not really - they are monsters :)

I'm more surprised that they developed (as I understand) around this quite small sensor (in MF terms). It's only a fraction bigger than a 24x36mm, especially if you prefer 2x3-format (those who prefer 3x4 of course have bigger advantage). Having the 42x56mm sensor as an option would have been nice for the system. But of course whould have made bigger lenses. But with this relatively small sensor they have to compete with a (for sure) coming Sony A9 (with maybe more pixels, better AF, more lenses - and all for maybe half price). But we will see - Leica S also has a not sooo big sensor and seems to sell...

Having said this - I really like the camera. It looks great, ergonomics seem fine.

Andreas

2. Fdotbone

Fdotbone Member

Yes It looks fantastic and indeed is a camera I have long imagined as my dream camera.I just wish someone would make another "Texas Leica" as people used to refer to the analogue "Plaubel Makina" with an optical finder, or a Hybrid combination, but an electronic finder?.....yuk? But then I am an old git of fast approaching 60 years nd was brough up in the Analogue world.Only my opinion of course but I'd have to have a play with one for a few hours to be convinced.The price seems sensible for a Hasselblad but if i'm only shooting for online these days why would I buy this camera over a Lecia M-P?
    Yes of course there is technically no comparison, but I'm interested in making Images not Megapixels!

3. bensonga

bensonga Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this thread on the X1D Dirk. I am very excited to see the advances and exciting new products that Hasselblad has released in the past year. From the CFV-50c, H6D and now this X1D which I do believe deserves the description as a "game changer" for the medium format digital segment of photography. Like another poster here, I think Hasselblad also made the right choice by releasing this camera with 2-3 prime lenses instead of heavy zooms as Leica did with the SL.

Gary Benson
    Alaska

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ZEISSIG

ZEISSIG Active Member

COSINA is well loaded with work to produce Zeiss glasses! But what many people don't know, they have an own glass mill, (by the way Sony too), and are also experienced in the electronic business too! But I doubt, that they have the capacity!

5. ZEISSIG

ZEISSIG Active Member

I
    I guess, Hasselblad had to search for an fairly low price partner, to get the new lenses made, because the famous lens manufacturers asking too much, or didn't want to get in touch with this remaining very small company!

6. dirk

dirk CI-Founder

We do not know what happened behind the curtain when Hasselblad was rethinking its new strategy some time ago.

I could imagine, that it was for Fuji a tough call when Hasselblad informed them that from now on they wanted to design and produce the bodies for themselves. Maybe Hasselblad decided already at that time to do the lenses also on their own. Or Fuji did not want to give their internal ressources to Hasselblad for the new lens line, because Fuji needed this ressource-capacity for their own Fuji X-system. We will never know what was first, what was next.

Although I am a big Zeiss fan, the past 15 years closer interaction with the photoindustry educated me, that we only can be sure of something when we have it in our own hands and do our own testing to our own standards. Everybody expects something else from a manufacturer. In all dimensions: lens choise, body features, sensor performance, price, image quality. etc.

There will never be a product that will please everybody. The question is always: With which kind of compromise can you personally live ? That depends always on your own individual requirements, restrictions (i.e. price) and alternatives. So lets wait for the first image quality tests from the usual reviewers. If that is then not good enough, we have still enough time to complain :)

I am excited about the new X1D, because it is the first move from a well known medium format brand into mirrorless. That alone deserves our kudos. No matter what else will be available on the market in a few months or years.

Hasselblad did it! Fullstop.

Bear in mind what was going on here 2-5 years ago. All Hasselblad users were totally disappointed. They turned their back to Hasselblad because the products did not fullfill the needs of the traditional Hasselblad client. Only few were able to afford the iterations of the H-system, the V-system was bashed by Hasselblad for a very long time and then the absolute worst moment in my Hasselblad life: the Sony rebadges. It can not go worse.

Now we are in totally different situation. New Managemet, new strategy. A strategy we like. New products that focus on us, the traditional costumer. At the same time a bridge to the "new world" in photography, the mirrorless systems.

This is a turnaouround and we should support this move as much as we can even if one product does not match yet 100% the wish-list of some of us.

I know that many of us would have liked Zeiss badgets on the lenses. But show me a medium format company that offers that. Nobody. So we should not complain too much ;)

7. ZEISSIG

ZEISSIG Active Member

YES, no doubts, big Kudos to Hasselblad for this clever made camera model! Zeiss is an very large future oriented company, and the Lens Department has become an small part of it only! The production of consumer lenses in Germany would be too expensive, as in the meantime also at Japan! Therefore, most of the Zeiss glasses are produced at COSINA, SONY, and some other unknown companies! The medium format lenses are not of much interest for Zeiss anymore, because of its very low numbers!

But, we all should never say no!

Best from Germany, the Photokina becomes closer!

8. dirk

dirk CI-Founder

This is also something I would be interested to get more information. The X1D would be great for candid shots. Also with kids sitting around. But if the blackout time in the EVF is too long, it is hard to catch the right moment.

How is the refesh rate?

9. ZEISSIG

ZEISSIG Active Member

If you look at this compact new MF camera and calculate, how many fairly cheap electronical and mechanical parts are housed in this body, and for how long they might be actual and available, I personally estimate, that the camera is nicely overpriced, based on his historical brand name Hasselblad! The digital race is still going on, so that I personally would not be willing to invest such an high amount of money for thís at the present time " very hot item"! Just my 2 Cents!

10. dirk

dirk CI-Founder

Come on Zeissig, let's be fair.

This can be said about EVERY camera with a sensor in it, no matter which brand and no matter how expensive.

It does not help to bash everything at the X1D . There is no camera out there without those "cheap" components as long as the image is recorded with a sensor. If you do not like the X1D that is fine. But try to be objective when saying something negative.

There are people who are willing to pay higher prices. Otherwise Leica would not exist. And only because the X1D is not priced like Nikon D5500, does not make it a bad camera ;)

Vote with your wallet...

11. jepp

jepp Member

As a big fan of Leica M product, I can tell you that when you pay for quality, even if it is digital, you get value. The resale is proportional, as the pleasure.

We can only applaud Hasselblad for the X1D. It will be a game changer, even if we suspect that fuji will jump also in the medium format market with the same sensor next year.

Hasselblad concentrate a lot of their dna and knowledge in the X1D.
    since the H the lens were not really badge and they prouve to be pristin for medium format sensor.

I suspect that: - the image quality will be here but dont expect this camera to be as versatile as your sony A7.... different product for differents functions.

I am totaly agree that Leica miss the big sensor market with the sl.

12. ZEISSIG

ZEISSIG Active Member

I never said, that this is a bad new camera! But were light is, is always shadow too! I really don't want to bash this camera, but I am realistic! Who wants to buy it, fine, for my personally needs the camera is overpriced. I am not an pro photographer, and I know no any pro who wants to pay this high price, or can afford it! The actual sensor size of the 50MP Sony sensor, is not so much larger as the top 35mm sensors, not to speak about the lens situation. This new X1D is and will remain an niche product only, and not an "game changer"!

13. ZEISSIG

ZEISSIG Active Member

Another example is the excellent fully electrical operated ROLLEIFLEX 6008! If the rechargeable battery has died, try to get an new battery! I know an photo service firm, who offers special new rechargeable batteries for this camera! Try to get the famous fully Manual twin-lens ROLLEIFLEX oldie cameras serviced! The former ROLLEI plant at Braunschweig is an "ghost plant"! Its a shame, that one of the remaining German photo manufacturers have not supported this firm! The modern electronical/digital cameras & lenses are very nice, but if it comes to service needs after years, forget it! It doesn't matter, how costly the camera was! The electronical circuits are modernized almost every six months, and getting cheaper and cheaper all the time! And, the smartphones are getting better and better! I've seen an picture from the White House, where the president Obama has given an press conference. Every person in this room has raised their arms, taking images with their smartphones! What a funny scene!

As this is said, I don't want anybody to hold off, buying this new Hasselblad X1D, sorry, but I am not willing to spend this high amount of money for it!

There were times, were the grandfathers could give his cameras and lenses to his grandson's! These times are over, in this fast running modern digital and plastic seasons!

14. jepp

jepp Member

I understand your point: your are talking about value , and for you value is link to being able to give the tool you buy to your grand son. For that you need quality build and absence of obsolescence.
    For sure the hasselblad product have this build quality, from the 1600 through the 500cm, H1-H6.
    But we are living the boom of digital sensor , battery and electronic since 10 years, and micro mecanic is not anymore economically design to be reparable ...
    But value could be measure by an immediate result also, like satisfaction, like a good restaurant.
    It is obvious and not arguable that this king of sensor provide better raw file ( more ev, more subtle color....) and they are use by a lot of professional for their qualities.
    BUT you need 20-35000 usd/euro to put.
    Out of the prosumer market.
    And they are heavy ( 1.5-2kg) and need cases to protect them.

The X1D will cut this price by more than half, plus will offer portability . it will cost like a Leica M240 + a Summilux 35....

This is for prosumer and a lot of professional.

Professional will be able to amortize it quickly on few shootings, and a prosumers will pay it the same amount they put on there German for leather or audio option.

Let's be honest.... Victor Hasselblad is back, and will again change photography.

X1D will be the inheritant of a long family, like the venerable 1600 I had ....

15. ZEISSIG

ZEISSIG Active Member

Pls don't get me wrong, I am not against this clever made Hasselblad X1D, and I wish her a good success! It is for sure an appetizer, but not more! But Victor Hasselblad has not stopped rotating in his grave, if he would see his todays very small company! Holy smoke, what would be happen, if Sony would stop delivering this 50MP sensor?

I hope, we will be seing more competition in the MF camera field at the Photokina!

Before professionals be able to amortizise such an investment for a new Hasselblad, first, the must have the cash for it! And, the two lenses presently available, and their optical performance, are presently still fairly much in the dark. Too much risk for an pro, just to jump unto a new camera system! Most pros have their well known tools together, and if they shoot with MF, the have still their very expensive digital backs investments for their MF cameras! Why should the jump on an train, sitting already in it! They are continue using their very expensive equipments further, and are not willing to sell their stuff to an junk yard!

If Hasselblad is playing the historical story from Victor's first F1600 to the Fujihasselblad models, they should also not forget, what is still laying on the moon. At former Photokina's, they where still using it for their advertisement, to sell the nicely designed Sony cameras! The former good reputation has become unfortunately weak, so it would be for my personal taste, to much risk to purchase such a camera! The world is spinning to fast at these days!

Hasselblad, my personal good luck to you!

16. jepp

jepp Member

I agree with you about the rebadging Sony .
    Leica has his bad time with Panasonic, and Omega sold quartz watch to survive .
    Sometime you just expect not to be a CEO in a storm.
    But Hassy still build H6 which is one of the top on the market and surely the more reliable.
    They want to be back .... of course everybody can buy the sensor for 4000 grand and say they are MF.... but Hasselblad has the IQ for it, implement sort of the same of the H6 in the XD1.... plus their software which is famous for color rendering.

Yes totally agree.... they announce the camera early and a little bit unformal ( so the bar and the music, so also the inability to provide real field camera for test )...
    They don't want to be dilute in photokina between Fuji , Leica and Sony....

Honestly , it's quite clever....
    But I very confident about the image quality ...
    of course, Evf will be slow, like the autofocus ( I just hope for only center autofocus to keep the camera on the pro side)...

Remenber also the flash synchro speed. it is a pro signature to be able to sync at any speed .... very very very few consumer market camera are interested in this....
    all pro are, as control of the light is essential to control the result.

just my two cents. sorry for my English, I am French mother tongue.

17. jepp

jepp Member

one of the most interesting review I read on the X1d.

kudos to Ming Thein, Singapore.

18. jepp

jepp Member

sorry to bother you

19. jepp

jepp Member

but I need 10 post....

20. jepp

jepp Member

to be able....