DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Recommended Handheld Meter

dingo

The meter on my M6TTL works pretty good, but sometimes it takes me a few seconds to get a nice "lock" on my exposure. The red arrows jump back and forth sometimes and can't seem to decide what the metering should be. I hate to be the guy that is fiddling with f-stops...those seconds can seem like an eternity!

Can anyone recommend a nice handheld meter that will speed things up for me? Or will most meters be pretty much the same thing that is already in the M6? All opinions are welcome, thanks!

One other thing has occurred to me: Might the camera be quicker to react if I leave the shutter set and change the aperture, or vice versa, or no difference? Maybe changing the aperture throws off the meter since it actually sends more light in the camera, whereas changing the shutter speed is more of a - ?mathmatical? - adjustment?

Meters are not the same, I use Minolta spot meter for my M4, works great. Given 3 readings, subject, High light, and shadow, will give you average, exposure for high light or shadow. Also shows stuff in analog form.

Dear Digno

If the arrows are flicking back and forth and not settling on the red dot. The "correct" exposure is probably within in a stop, say 1/2 a stop of what is set on the camera. If this is the case it is within acceptable working limits, at least for neg film.

Personally I like match needle meter readouts because they don't flick between numbers. A quick look at where the needle sits and you can easily adjust the camera settings for the best exposure.

I've been using the Gossen ProfiSix (analogue meter) I've found this type of meter to be very quick and easy to operate. All the information you will ever need is there on the dial and readable at a glance. The Luna Six F works in the same way by is a much more robust unit and less susceptable to break down. If you find one in good condition that has been tested to read accurately I recommend you buy it.

Digital readouts usually give you an exact number which may not be in full and 1/2 f stops or will tend to flick between numbers.

Sekonic meters seem to be the industry standard these days, and Minolta also make some very good light meters.

For more precise work I use the pentax spot. They are lovely meters and are nice compact units. Spot meters are not much help if you are in a hurry though. A 30 degree meter is better for fast street work. The camera can be set to the right exp. without the need to lift it to you eye.

hope this is of some help.

Dear Digno
I have great experience with a seconic meter - it has both flash metering and ambient light metering. I have the option to change the cone on the meter to go from reflected light to incident and you can also attach a spotmeter device. This makes it for me the only meter that i need to carry. You can read more about the meter on http://www.aaacamera.com/sekonic_l-328_digilite_f_meter.html One good thing though is to carry a gray card in your bag - some times when a metering situation becomes confusing it is good to fall back on. The M6 meter works pretty good, and I tend to get better exposed pictures with that than with my Canon eos - perhaps because Im forced to think about what Im doing with the M6 meter - anyway best of luck with you metering

I have a sekonic L508 which work extremely well, but if I could do it over again I would choose either the Sekonic L308 or the Minolta IV. These are smaller and since I don't or hardly use spot metering I could easily do with the smaller ones.

Br Bas

Back