DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Purchased the SD14 - Waiting

laurence2

I haven't been this excited about a DSLR in quite some time. I look forward to the challenge of "getting it right" with the new SD14. I simply have fallen head over heels for the output of the Foveon sensor.

I am about 50% a film shooter (Pentax 645, Zeiss Ercona, Yashica Mat, and Chinon M42 clone), and the other 50% with the current DSLR, a Pentax K110D. I use strictly M42 lenses with the K110D, and will use them on the Sigma as well.

I am, however, quite interested in the Sigma lineup of proprietary mount lenses. I think that Sigma has come a long ways toward offering superb optics (based on the reviews I have read, at least).

I almost strictly shoot landscapes, and I never have a problem "taking my time" for a shot. It seems the the SD line is good for my style.

I am considering the 10-20 zoom from Sigma, as I like the approx 17mm wide end. Also, I understand that this lens is quite sharp, and does not show a whole lot of distortion (at least no more than other brands). I expect a bit of vignetting, and I can work with that.

All that said, can anyone give their opinion of the 10-20? Hopefully someone in the forum owns one.

Are there any other Sigma lenses (preferably EX or better) you might recommend for my landscape photography? I currently have: Pentax Super Tak 55/1.8, Kiron 105/2.5, Tokina 35-70 (surprisingly nice lens), and the Vivitar 100-300 (another "keeper" lens for me).

This will be fun, and another aspect of photography for me!

Laurence

I haven't been this excited about a DSLR in quite some time. I look forward to the challenge of "getting it right" with the new SD14. I simply have fallen head over heels for the output of the Foveon sensor.

I am about 50% a film shooter (Pentax 645, Zeiss Ercona, Yashica Mat, and Chinon M42 clone), and the other 50% with the current DSLR, a Pentax K110D. I use strictly M42 lenses with the K110D, and will use them on the Sigma as well.

I am, however, quite interested in the Sigma lineup of proprietary mount lenses. I think that Sigma has come a long ways toward offering superb optics (based on the reviews I have read, at least).

I almost strictly shoot landscapes, and I never have a problem "taking my time" for a shot. It seems the the SD line is good for my style.

I am considering the 10-20 zoom from Sigma, as I like the approx 17mm wide end. Also, I understand that this lens is quite sharp, and does not show a whole lot of distortion (at least no more than other brands). I expect a bit of vignetting, and I can work with that.

All that said, can anyone give their opinion of the 10-20? Hopefully someone in the forum owns one.

Are there any other Sigma lenses (preferably EX or better) you might recommend for my landscape photography? I currently have: Pentax Super Tak 55/1.8, Kiron 105/2.5, Tokina 35-70 (surprisingly nice lens), and the Vivitar 100-300 (another "keeper" lens for me).

Laurence

Hi, Laurence!

I own a 10 - 20mm lens and think it is a very indispensable and creative tool for me. My recent night shot on my street (posted elsewhere) was done with it and on my excursions into the countryside, I most certainly would not leave home without it. :) It's handy for architectural work too.

Interiors are a piece of cake, providing (my personal preference off course) I make sure the camera is positioned horizontally to prevent keystoning.

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

Thank you for the succinct reply, Jim. I had a hunch that whoever owned a 10-20 would have said that it is nearly indispensable; it simply seems to offer a wonderful wide-angle range. It will be my first Sigma auto-focus lens acquisition, provided I like and keep the SD14. In fact, it will be my first auto-focus lens of ANY brand. Thanks again!

Laurence

Hi Laurence

I understand your excitment, I felt the same way when I ordered my SD14.

Regarding your other lenses. Do you know you can get a P645 to K adapter, and use this combo on the SD14?
You can see more options here:
http://www.foto.nordjylland.biz/SD14/overview.htm
Textual version: http://www.foto.nordjylland.biz/SD14/SD14-NonSigmaLenses.htm
At that page you will also find a link to some useful tips about the SD14. I mean, you need something to do while you wait, right?

Congratulation on your choice, I think you will love it.

kind regards
Øyvind Strøm

Laurence

Back