DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Elmarit 28135 with M6

Dear Robert,
Hold on a minute: Leitz produced several lens and variations on the 135mm focal lenght in its history.
As I recall (don't have the books here) we have:
Hektors: f4,5 available in both screw and M mounts
Elmar: f4 available only (?) in M
Tele Elmars: f4 available only in M (more than one version)
Tele Elmarits: f 2,8 available only in M (more than one version)
Apo Telyt: f3,4 available only in M

A lot of choice as you can see on this focal lenght.
I assume the best is the APO one...
My only experiences with a Leitz 135 were made on an Hektor that I sold after a quick comparison with both Nikkor and Canon (in LTM) 135s that I am lucky to have.
I hope you'll find this interesting and keep on investigating.
All the best
Enrico

Dear U.N.Owen,

If the choice were mine I would buy the Tele-Elmar, which has nearly APO qualities at a fraction of the price, and the Viewfinder-Magnifier-M 1.25x.

Have fun,

Justin

PS Enrico, the 1960 f/4 was also available in screw mount (code 11750).

I second Justin's comments. Although I own/use the f2.8, if I were to buy I would go for the f4 Elmar and eyepiece.(I must admit I haven't tried the magnifier).
Colin

I agree with Scott (and thanks for the Elmar info) and I think he makes a good point in suggesting the viewfinder magnifier: especially if you have a 0,72 VF!

My choice is the same as Colin's; the 135 Elmar-M. It was a very good improvement on the Hektor but the Tele-Elmar, in comparison, is much heavier and not much shorter, so much for the telephoto design. It comes down to what your criteria are: lowest price, minimal weight and size, maximum aperture or maximum image quality.

my choice was like Jem and Colin: I tried the cheaper nostalgic and light 135 Elmar M. It has the new glass types and comes near to the Tele-Elmar (which was delvered for more than 40 Years!). The T-E is heavier but that's good for shooting and it comes near to the APO.

I think You do not need the magnifier, if You have the 0.72 version - i use it only for better viewing of complex pcitures or for Summilux 75.

And the "CHEAP" first version of the T-E may unscrew the lens head. So You have the option of Visoflex-work but to use this fine lens with LEICAflex or Leica R up to version 9!
Regards,
Giselher

Back