DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax AX

Dave,

I bought a demo AX from B&H in early May at a price of USD 599. Sometimes there are also demo AX at 499 (today they have) and they replied me by email at that time that 499 was still a workable AX but with some wearings. My one received was in like-new conditions and all functions are excellent! It came with 1 year Contax-USA waranty. All packing, box, manual, eyepiece, strap and battery were attached.

However, I heard stories in Asia that some bought also these demo AX or RX from B&H and were unlucky to receive as either missing parts (I saw report of missing lock-button at mode-selector) or heavily worn cameras(RX). They may be bad luck but be aware and asks as many question as possible before you go ahead now. I observed from other forum that the later you order the earlier(older) is the serial numbers so pay attention.

I have definitely great luck on my AX and I am so happy to use it. My hand is small but I don't find it big to hold. Actually it is a similar size of a traditional SLR with a handled winder/motor attached. (I have been using RTSII for about 18 years) The AF speed is faster than my expectation although sluggish at low light, but of course slower than Nikon/Canon/Minolta...'s AF system but AX does work. There are some comment all over the world to downgrade this camera and is quite unfair to this never-ever genius design.

Bear in mind it is a camera being produced in 1996 whilst can use all AE or MM lens, it is a great AF (ABF) camera that Contax users dream of.

I find out that all AE lenses can be used in AX to give also Program and Tv function by simply put a stopper e.g. rubber (at 5pm position) to push the lug downwards to give a immitation imput signal to fool the camera as MM lens being mounted. So now I can use both my old AE and new MM lens on my beloved AX for all its functions.

I highly recommend others to buy AX, it's great.

Raymond

Hello,
I bought a demo AX from B&H in JUIN at a price of USD 599.
IS OK.

Can the normal mechanical cable release be used at AX?

The manual says NO but I heard that it might be used. Any comment or experience?

tks
Raymond

Hi, I am looking at getting an autofocus camera and seeing that I have an aria w/ 50/1.4, 28/2.8 and 85/1.4 I think Ax is the natural choice. I have found one that is a demo but mint. I even shot a roll off in the store (awaiting results) but it comes as a kit with the 28-85/3.0 zoom which I know is good but seems redundent. It sells for US 1570 from a department store in Taipei with a one year warranty. Is it worth it?

Back