DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Venice in January

G

Hi,

I am travelling to Venice next month and intend to take the G2 outfit. Or would I be better with a SLR (to better enable filters to be used for ex&le)?

Also, any advice on locations would be helpful.

I would appreciate your advice.

Thank you,

Clive

How funny... I am traveling to Venice this Sunday. I have been there several times in the past and I am definitely bringing my G2s on this trip (along with an XPan, and filters)...

This city is just so awesome, it is hard to isolate a few locations but here is a list of favorites of mine:
- Piazza San Marco
- The Arsenal
- Dorsoduro
- The old ghetto
- Chiesa dei Miracoli (the Church of miracles)
- Camo San Giovanni

Venice is a singular, magical place. It is a photographer's dream.
On one occasion I used a guide book, now out of print, that took the visitor on four (maybe six) walks, allowing him/her to see intimate piazzas, scenic canal/palazzo settings, lovely churches, etc. in the various sections. The book also advised where the locals go for coffee, lunch, etc. The places were fun and good. I'm sure guide books are available that describe this way of seeing Venice. One can do one walk, or two if they are shorter, a day---with plenty of time for taking photos. For me, this was a very satisfying way to experience the endless sights of Venice.
I would not advise going to Burano. It reads well for taking photos, but I did not think it it so special.
Have fun, and bring plenty of film.

Venice in January
What a dream, but please no books. Why don't you try to contact an art historian who lives in Venice. These people do know more than any guide.
They know a lot about art, theatres, little restaurants for locals only and other unknown
not yet published places. Have fun.

Thank you folks for your contributions, particularly Francois for sharing his intimate local knowledge.

I prefer to take my G's on foreign trips unless there is a specific reason for taking the RTS - macro shots, where long lenses are needed or where filters are usually required. (I have a 25% grey grad, but obviously it is not as good as the Cokin type on a SLR).

At least I can rest easy knowing that the G's will suffice.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas,

Clive

The best way to see Venice is to get lost in the many narrow streets. There are hundreds of beautiful C&i. And don't forget the Via Garibaldi and the S.Elena-Area. And bring time. You'll need time to find out where the light goes. In winter around 5 o'clock the sun shines through the windows of the Salute-Church right into Via Garibaldi. Bring your telephotos.I used my 300 + Mutar II & III quite often. And get up early to avoid the crowd. At seven in the morning Piazza San Marco is quiet and beautifull. 3 hours later it's a nightmare. If you come by car, bring a ladder to avoid the tourist perspective. But be carefull - Venice is a postcard. It's difficult to make really bad pictures. But even more dfifficult to make really good ones...

Back