DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

M6 rangefinder alignment by oneself

> > Hello Marc,

>You ARE welcome - What does Sy Syms say, "An educated consumer is our best customer?" > > Good luck, just use the information in GOOD Health!!

Tsun

Tsun,

>> Jorge Trevino’s suggestion for removal of this ‘Red Dot’ looks like a ‘winner,’ I’ll have to try it out! Thank you Jorge! <<

Nothing to it. In fact, I owe this tip to Carsten Bockermann (www.cabophoto.com), one of the photographers featured on Leica's website.

BTW, when I had to adjust the infinity setting on my IIIf, I made a slightly different tool. I started with an ordinary screwdriver much like yours but then I filed the tip of the blade at a slight offset bias -about 20º- and sharpened it again to fit the slot tightly. I'm a car dealer so I have access to a lot of tools not usually found on a typical household but this can be done with a common metal file or better yet with an electrical drill fitted with a grindstone.

Regards,

Jorge.

>Jorge wrote this: > > BTW, when I had to adjust the infinity setting on my IIIf, I made a slightly different tool. I started with an ordinary screwdriver much like yours but then I filed the tip of the blade at a slight offset bias -about 20º- and sharpened it again to fit the slot tightly. I'm a car dealer so I have access to a lot of tools not usually found on atypical household but this can be done with a common metal file orbetter yet with an electrical drill fitted with a grindstone.

Hello Jorge,

Thank you for your humbleness and taking credit for your very interesting tip. When I locate my M6, I'll try your tip. I consider it 'yours' as you bought it to my attention.

On your IIIf, its rangefinder adjustment is different from that of the M series. Infinity adjustment is done using small flat-bladed jeweller's screwdriver to turn the screw located behind the screw on the front of the camera next to rectangular viewfinder window. Unlike the M series rangefinder that are no adjustments located on the RF coupling arm which has the follower roll (the one which contacts with the lens' focusing cam).

Also unlike the M rangefinder, the IIIf RF use an optical wedge to alignment the secondary RF image. The adjustment point is behind the left circular rangefinder window (as seen from the front). The protective knurled bezel must first be removed. I find that a thin piece of rubber like that used on household cleaning gloves, held between the thumb and index finger and with sufficient force will loosen this bezel.

Behind this bezel, is a darkened brass ring. This may be rotated as it is really a glass wedge (much like a very slender and thin prism). As it rotates, the secondary RF image moves vertically. This ring may move reluctantly. Just use a small flat-bladed jeweller and use its tip to engage one of two cut-outs located on this ring. This adjustment is made in combination with the horizontal adjusment. Do the vertical adjustment FIRST if it needs it.When the vertical is aligned, then touch up on the horizontal.

Also unlike the M RF, there are no other adjustment points on the IIIf RF . No adjustments for the parallax frames lines as there are no frame lines. Neither did Leitz provide a 1m or a arm stop limiter.

Thanks again for your tip!

Tsun

Tsun,

Earnest thanks for the IIIf adjustment procedure. I had to send it to the repair shop about a year ago for a loose curtain and they did a CLA at the same time. It's been perfect ever since but the procedure is a must-have. I'm printing your message now for keeps.

Best regards,

Jorge.

>Jorge wrote: > > Tsun,

Earnest thanks for the IIIf adjustment procedure. I had to send it to the repair shop about a year ago for a loose curtain and they did a CLA at the same time. It's been perfect ever since but the procedure is a must-have. I'm printing your message now for keeps.

Best regards,

Jorge.

Hello Jorge,

Glad to be of assistance! If I can be of further assistance, just post your needs on the forum.

Good luck, Tsun

Back