DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Panasonic S1/ S1R

dirk

DPRF-Founder
Administrator
Panasonic did not disclose many details about its new fullframe camera since last Photokina.

Over the last weeks, there have been more and more speculation/ leaks on the net about the specifications of these two Lumix fullframe models.

There is for an example a rumor that Panasonic will present all details of the Panasonic Lumix S1 and S1R this week on thursday (31.1.2019). But the cameras will be available probably not before March 2019.

According to the rumors, the specs could be as follows:

Panasonic S1

• 24MP
  • 4k60p
  • Dual IS (in body stabilization and in lens stabilization)
  • Contrast AF (DFD technology)
  • Industry highest resolution EVF (Rumor: Could be 5.6 milion dot)
  • Deep learning AI
  • 1 XQD and 1 SD slot
  • 3-axis tiltable LCD
  • 100% weather sealing
  • High Resolution mode (eight consecutive images are captured while shifting the sensor)
  • HLG Photo
  • Price ca. $2,000

Panasonic S1R

• 47MP
  • 4k60p
  • Dual IS (in body stabilization and in lens stabilization)
  • Contrast AF (DFD technology)
  • Industry highest resolution EVF (Rumor: Could be 5.6 milion dot)
  • Deep learning AI
  • 1 XQD and 1 SD slot
  • 3-axis tiltable LCD
  • 100% weather sealing
  • High Resolution mode (eight consecutive images are captured while shifting the sensor)
  • HLG Photo
  • Price ca. $4,000

Panasonic S lenses (native L-Mount design)

50mm f/1.4
24-105mm (F4.0?)
70-200mm (F2.8?)

I did some research by reading a few reviews. What came across very strongly was an emphasis on video. Both cameras have a very broad video functionality, and both perform extremely well in that space.

Personally, video is not all that important to me. I was interested in the higher resolution of the S1R but now I'm not sure that it will add a lot.

I'm also concerned at how clunky, i.e. big and heavy, these L-mount cameras are. That includes the Leica SL. I note that Sigma have announced a quite small L-mount - the f2. Maybe that's what I want.

Back