DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

35mm Elmarit R First version

G

As I have owned this and the current version of the 35mm Elmarit R, I thought my experiences would be of use to other users.

Many of the Elmarit R lenses are relative bargins by Leica standards, and the first version 35mm is no exception. I purchased a mint ex&le for 250.00 USD.

At full aperture the lens has medium contrast and a soft rendition of details. Field curvature is pronounced, with the plane of focus extending away from the shooter at the edge of the image. I found the flare resistance to be average for older Leica lenses.

To get really modern looking performance out to the edges you must stop down to f4.5 or smaller. From this point however, the lens is quite excellent. It has very high resolution and good contrast rendition. I found no noticable distortion when shooting subjects with straight lines at the edge of the frame.

For new Leica users who don't want to drop a load of money to try out the brand, this lens can be a good starter. Stopped down it's performance is excellent. If you are a critical user, or prefer slower films, the full aperture performance is very 'old fashioned', and could dissappoint.

Best wishes
Dan States
Grand Forks ND

Being a Leica "newbie", (with my M6 and 35mm f2 Summicron in the closet patiently waiting for my birthday) I'm reading everything I can about the Leicas.
I found a book published by Leica called "Leica M Photography" by Brian Bower. He absolutely raves about the Elmarit 90mm mentioning it several times and noting that it is a "good buy".

Colorado Jeff

> Being a Leica "newbie", (with my M6 and 35mm f2 Summicron in > the closet patiently waiting for my birthday) I'm reading > everything I can about the Leicas. ================================================================= Jeff, email me off list. Leicam5pro@yahoo.com

Back