DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

luiz

I have just bought a 85mm 1.4mm that are in its way to me in Brazil.
I would like very much to receive comments from users of such lens.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Luiz,

I'm hoping to buy the same 85mm 1.4! Has anyone tried this yet? It's a very impressive amount of glass...

>I have this lens 85 1.4 GD, I put it on Dynax 7 Limited. Actualy this is not a simply lens, this is briliant, exelent lens. By the way 35 1.4 also is

I got it! That is, the 84mm 1.4. I got it along with a 50mm 1.4 and the 7 body (I'm paying in installments). Needless to say, it feels different not having zoom capability, but it is a valuable tool in learning how to compose by moving yourself. I'm looking forward to seeing the slides I've already shot.

> Yeah, but zooming is more like cropping than moving the photographer's point of view. Moving the photographer's point of view is the only way to move the photographer's point of view, regardless of zoom or single focal length lenses. I'm jealous, though, of your Minolta 7, 50/1.4 > and 85/1.4 - nice stuff! Share a web page or links to your Minolta Photography, okay?

Peter,

Thanks for the message! That's a very good point about the difference between cropping and positioning, but I do find that when I have a zoom with me I just stop as soon as I see something pretty and then frame with the zoom. I think that without the zoom option I'll feel more pressured to move myself more and perhaps think more about how to compose by adjusting my position.

I don't have a link yet (sorry!) and my pictures are still admittedly mediocre, but hopefully by the time I have some work I'm actually proud of I can get a page somewhere.

Hope to hear from you again!

Hi you all,

The 85mm f/1.4 is something out of this world. It broke my banking account but I am so glad about it.
The pictures are perfect and I will try a 812 filter in my next roll of film.

I just wanted to add an additional rave about the 85mm f/1.4. Last week I shot three rolls of Kodak Dyna-High Color at our city's summer festival (I live in Japan). The festivals are always extremely festive and colorful, and the 85mm perspective, coupled with the wide aperture as sunset approached, made for a whole slew of incredible candid shots. If I ever learn how to post photographs online, I will put them up.

Seth Hosler wrote: "... the 85mm perspective ..."

Hi Seth,

85mm is NOT a perspective.

Camera placement is perspective.

85mm is a cropping "angle of view" from the camera position.

A 16mm or 300mm lens from that same camera position would show the exact same "perspective" as the 85mm lens, though each will show a different cropping or "angle of view".

I appreciate the word "perspective" as you used it is a general, non-photographic term, but within photography, "perspective" has a very specific meaning, and it is CAMERA POSITION, not lens focal length!

I would LOVE to see some of the images you are talking about.

Shame we can't include images in our dialogue within our emails here! :-(

In summary, from a dictionary:

perspective: noun: the appearance of things relative to one another as determined by their distance from the viewer [photographic term] noun: a way of regarding situations or topics etc. [non photographic term]

The use of the word "perspective" in photography to mean "crop" or "zoom" or "focal length" or "magnification" is just too, too sloppy. =8^o

Perspective is: the appearance of things relative to one another as determined by their distance from the viewer.

But, don't worry, Seth, we're here to help you remember the meaning of the word "perspective" (and that definition above was NOT from a photographic dictionary, by the way!)

Perspective is: the appearance of things relative to one another as determined by their distance from the viewer.

... lather, rinse, repeat ... it will work it's way into your brain ... lather, rinse, repeat ... !

Good -- it's working!

;-)

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise Monahon Minolta Photographer peterblaise@yahoo.com http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

Peter,

HA! 'Tis true, I am but a layman. No technician, and certainly no wordsmith. I daresay I do not even really understand what photographers mean by "contrast", as the meaning is indeed a bit different from that intended by mere mortals.

I saw your comments on the Minolta 507 and the Minolta flash system on another forum. Very interesting. Since the camera manual and flash manual are next to useless, can you recommend a thorough and comprehensible resource that explains the wireless flash system and how it can be used on the 507 and the 7?

As for posting pictures, I need to learn how to make a web page, or at the very least find a place where I can post things. Being a dedicated technophobe, I need to find the simplest possible solution. Any advice?

Thank you for putting things in "perspective" for me.

-Seth

Back