DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

A Forum Lurker Says Hi ;)

randomrubble

Hi, this is my first post but I've been lurking around the forum soaking up information for almost 2 years while building a nice little Contax outfit.

As a teenager getting into photography in the 80s I read a review of the Contax 159MM with the 25mm Distagon and it became my dream camera but way out of reach on my pocket money!

I ended up with a Canon FD outfit which served me well for almost 20 years, until the digital revolution made me go Eos. Then, a couple of years ago, I found a nice little Zeiss 50/1.7 in a charity shop for a tenner. after playing with it on an Eos I decided to sell the little planar on eBay.

This is where fate took a hand, the cheap little lens went for one of those crazy 'I must win' prices while the camera of my youthful dreams - a 159MM - came up at the same time with lens, for less than the first Planar.

Since then I have steadily refined my little Contax to the point where I just got a myself a mint condition 25/2.8 Distagon to put on my 159MM. In the end I now have MM versions of the 25/2.8, 50/1.7, 85/1.4 & 100/3.5. Which forms nice core to my outfit.

On the way along i've had the chance to try the RTS, 167MT, 18mm and 28/2.8 Distagons, 50/1.4 Planar and a few Yashicas including the very decent 21/3.5. If we ever get a summer here in the UK I hope to post a few images!!!

Randonrubble, Seen your nom de plume elsewhere, I think, but as I look at many photo forums, I cannot remember which. I managed to get the Contax 50mm 1.7 a few years back with a Contax 167MT. That was my first Contax camera, and set me off on acquiring 2 more of them. The last one, just over 1 week ago - the N1 with a 70-300 lens. Still waiting for the weather to pick up to give it an outing.

Back