DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Getting used to posting on these forums, so here's a shot from a current roadtrip

Is putting up random shots on a forum like this the way to go or is there another forum here for that and maybe this forum is mostly about gear talk? Let me know

Anyway, I was driving past the Tetons, taking shots out my windows but decided to stop and take my time for a "real" shot

You've seen these mountains and they are stunning in person. Shot with my D800 and 24-85 G

DSC_1347.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D800
  • 24.0-85.0 mm f/3.5-4.5
  • 65.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Wow, a successful upload! However, how to get this to display smaller so the resolution stays intact? Upload a smaller version? This was at 1200 pixels

Nice shot of the Tetons. My impression of this forum is that it's a bit more "image" oriented.

I primarily shoot with Nikon Zs and Pentax DSLRs, and get weary of long involved technical discussions when 95% (probably more) of images shot today are done by cell phone, And what's annoying to me is, some cellphone images are quite good. :D

Nice shot of the Tetons. My impression of this forum is that it's a bit more "image" oriented.

I primarily shoot with Nikon Zs and Pentax DSLRs, and get weary of long involved technical discussions when 95% (probably more) of images shot today are done by cell phone, And what's annoying to me is, some cellphone images are quite good. :D
On this current road trip I stopped at a viewpoint of Mt. Rainier and the first guy I saw taking pics was holding his phone out at arm's length. Long story short, the guy was actually a sports shooter pro with a Canon R5 around his neck ($5000). When asked "what's with the phone at this stunning view" he said his phone (he called it an "Ultra") took pics equivalent to his R5...and he would know

On this current road trip I stopped at a viewpoint of Mt. Rainier and the first guy I saw taking pics was holding his phone out at arm's length. Long story short, the guy was actually a sports shooter pro with a Canon R5 around his neck ($5000). When asked "what's with the phone at this stunning view" he said his phone (he called it an "Ultra") took pics equivalent to his R5...and he would know

Yeah. I gave my daughter a Pentax body with a fast prime, and an 18-55 kit zoom to use for making her "family" book which she does each year. And they're actually pretty good. She's got a good eye. After the 2nd year she gave it back, as the DSLR images were not really better than what she gets with her cell phone -- for that application. And, of course, she is *aways* with a cell phone. which helps.

I find if the lighting is perfect these new cellphones do quite a nice job. But when the lighting isn't ideal (low, flat, maybe bright and contrasty) then a .DNG or NEF RAW file combined with decent software can produce amazing results -- not possible with a cellphone. And, I'm biased as I enjoy working with the camera and post processing almost as much as viewing the images later.

Nice pic! I have never been to Wyoming (need to get there someday). I'm with you in regard to the "big picture" -- i.e., sharing images, getting C&C feedback, etc. which usually rolls into related discussions about gear and methods. I'm in Seattle (Burien)... and I have not yet been up to Mt. Rainier this year -- so you beat me to it. :cool: Do you have a Rainier picture to share?

PS... the phone stuff LOOKS (really) good on the small screen -- and it is just incredible how "smart" those phone cameras are especially when it comes to exposure. The dynamic nature of the live view and the way it just "looks right" in any/all (and very difficult) lighting conditions. Very impressive. HOWEVER... when you put those images up on a large computer monitor... that's a different story. Still, a dinosaur like myself with OVF equipment (shooting manual, spot metering, singe-point AF) -- I'm fortunate that our heavy old cameras have a lot of DR and we can do some of the exposure tricks in post.

Well, I'm not sure I believe that he is a pro, if he thinks his phone (ANY phone) takes equivalent photos to a Canon R5. It's just a matter of him liking the post processing decisions his phone makes. I am 100% sure if we looked at photos at 100% from his camera and any decent lens compared to his phone's, both at full resolution, we could tell in an instant which was taken with the proper camera.

Nice shot. I was there a few years ago. It is stunning scenery almost whichever way one looks.

As for where to post photos, I like to post them in the Samples & Galleries subforum, here:

or if things are slow, maybe even in DPRF Cafe.

Back