DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

G

Does anyone have any information on the 885? Pros/Cons over the 4300? How about it's Manual mode abilities? Durability to impact, moisture, etc.? Battery life? Sorry for all the inquiries, I'm new to digital.

All I can do is give you a testominial on the 885. It has been bullet proof in over 5000 images. Wish it had a few more manual abilities. Had a chance to go over the 4300 in comparison but not to shoot it. Looked good to me.

Does anyone know anything about the durability of pixels? That is, the photosensing screen. I read somewhere that taking pics into intense light (like the sun) might knock out pixels? Fact, or fiction?

Hi there,

The CCD is quite durable and taking snapshots of the sun doesnt get it spoilt however taking long exposures of the sun or continuous exposures of the sun with the display on will affect it/

Sam

I don't understand. So... The display will be ruined, or the photocells will be ruined?

That is, can I take pics of intense light using the viewfinder only?

> No it can't damage the display. If it damages anything it'll be the CCD chip. You're basically focussing the sun on it. Any damage you do will be while composing the picture - don't forget the CCD is in use all the time - there is no shutter - the exposure itself would be too fast. > It may even be possible damage it with the camera switched off if you happened to leave it pointing at the sun altho it probably wouldn't be focussed. Seem to remember the later model CoolPix's retain focus when switched off (or am I thinking of something else?)

}Hello, (sorry for my english...)
I lost my Coolpix 885 during my holidays in Portugal (south of Portugal : Algarve) in a shopping center.
There are many beautiful photos (my favourites) on the card (16 MB). I hope that the person who found my camera have the kindness and generosity to give me back (not my camera, I don't believe in miracles...but may be...) but my photos!!!!!!! pleeeeeeaaaaaaassssssseeeeee!!!!
if the person could put my photos on the photo Gallery of this forum, I will be very happy, because the photos were very important for me.

THANK YOU

Louise.

i just bought a new Coolpix 885 and it won't stop making this weird clicking noise. the noise only occurs when i'm in camera or video mode and when the camera is in motion. if i set the camera down on a table or something the clicking stops but once i pick it up it just starts going again. does anybody know what's wrong???

The noise you are hearing is the auto focusing mechanism keeping the camera in focus. You bought a great little camera.

Back