DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Comet over the city

nathantw666

picture.php

Interesting image.

I for one would be interested to know, which city, when and some info on camera settings etc.

I know tht some of the info could well be hard to remember if you shot with film - as a person who shoots digital it has made all that info so easy to dig up.

Have a great day.

mal

Interesting image.

I for one would be interested to know, which city, when and some info on camera settings etc.

I know tht some of the info could well be hard to remember if you shot with film - as a person who shoots digital it has made all that info so easy to dig up.

Have a great day.

mal

Hi Mal,
This was shot with slide film and in San Francisco. That's the Golden Gate Bridge in the background. The comet is probably Hale-Bop from 1997 since Hyakutake in 1996 had a longer tail.

The picture was most likely Kodak E100 since that's what I shot when Kodachrome disappeared. So that would have made the exposure, looking at the star trails, probably 8 seconds. I don't know the f/stop since I normally stop down at least one or two stops so the lights in the corners don't have weird shapes. My guess is F/5.6 or f/8.

The camera was a 553ELX with a 60mm f/3.5 lens on a Gitzo 224 tripod.

Hope that helps. You have a great day too!

Nathan

Nathan

Thanks for the extra info re your photograph.

I have done almost no photography of the heavens but who knows what the future holds.

I was just very impressed by how beautifully rendered the night sky was (with comet) above the coloured lights of the city.

Guess comets don't just flash by, so you may have had time to experiment with a few exposure combinations.

Here is a recent photo I took of a lunar eclipse that occured in Queensland, Australia in December 2010.

Canon 1D Mk 4, f2.8 400mm lens with a 2x extender for 1/160 sec at f5.6 at 800ISO.
You may well ask why the fast shutter speed and high ISO? Well the wind was blowing a gale and even though the camera was on a solid tripod the lens arrangement had such a large drag factor I was struggling with camera shake.

Cheers

Mal

Attachments

• Eclipse.jpg
    EXIF
    Eclipse.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Eclipse.jpg
    EXIF
    Eclipse.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 4
Very nice image, I thought Hal Bopp straight away when I saw it, HB had quite a distinctive shape.

Mal,
Your moon picture is similar to mine that I took when I was testing my 400mm and 2x teleconverter to get ready to see the Space Shuttle launch. I had to get the picture between the holes in the fog that billowed overhead. http://www.flickr.com/photos/59419492@N00/4617942110/

I have numerous other Hasselblad and Nikon D700 pictures here including the space shuttle one that you can see in a larger format. http://www.flickr.com/photos/59419492@N00/page1/ I'll upload some photos I took of the Milky Way galaxy when I was at the Grand Canyon.

Enjoy!

Hi Nathan

Your moon certainly seems sharper than mine - so good one.

So how did the space shuttle launch photos turn out afterall?

Looked through some of your photos on Flickr - really like your panorama of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Cheers for now

Mal

Hi Nathan

Your moon certainly seems sharper than mine - so good one.

So how did the space shuttle launch photos turn out afterall?

Looked through some of your photos on Flickr - really like your panorama of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Cheers for now

Mal

Overall the space shuttle pictures turned out great. I'm sure you saw one or two of the photos if you scrolled through the pictures I had on Flickr. I wasn't expecting the lens I was using to work out so well, but it performed great. There were hardly any chromatic abberations, if any, in the pictures. I expected some since I noticed it in other people's photos and I was using an old lens from the 1980's. So, that lens was a definite keeper.

Back