DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

FE1 LCD screen wN1

G

Does anyone have any significant experience with the FE-1? Some specific questions would be:
> useful visibility and clarity of screen in different lighting conditions?
> Useability of b&w preview function?
> useability of exposure adjustment preview function?
> what % of the viewing image is shown on the LCD screen?
> Any surprising issues come up in actual usage?
Thanks for any comments.

Jason,
I looked at the FE-1 on a N1 and also fitted to the 645 (yes, it works on several cameras). The unit was unusuable for me. The screen size is extremely small, the image does not fill the screen. Also, the sharpness of the image left much to be desired. I called Nick (Contax Tech Rep) and asked him about any maginfier for the FE-1 and he said there was nothing specifically made for it, but suggested that a gameboy magnifier might work. So, who knows, maybe a cheap magnifier may help this $500.00 accessory. The screen brightness appears okay outside but the size/clarity is still problematic. I would suggest you try this before any purchase.
Daryl

Has anyone found any use for the FE-1 LCD screen when used with the N-1, 645 or RTS-III? As Dayrl Ovadia commented last year, the size and clarity of the small 1.5" screen seems problematic. The LCD screen itself has very restricted range, and overloads if the differences in brightness are too great. Let me know if anyone has found it useful to check exposures.
Larry

One thing that i think is useful for this LED screen is when you bring it down to water, I am planning to build a house for my N1(when i got money) and using this LED may prove to be very useful! Apart for this kind of underwater photography, I doult the small screen will prove useful at all!

Ben

The FE-1 would be a welcome aid in determening flash exposure. Will it work for that? If anybody has experience with this gadget, please let us know.

I asked Contax Tech support years ago, the FE-1 does not support pre-flash. So it can't determine flash exposure.

Jason, I played with this thing a couple of years ago. This is, to my mind, the most useless accessory ever made as image quality that it delivers is simply awful. Amount of work that on has to perform to put this thing on makes it totally unusable for street shooting, and image quality is so poor that there is no way you can monitor what is going on in the viewfinder when you are shooting critically important stuff in the studio.

I was stupid enough to be duped into buying one. Still have it, hoping it will become a collectors item ... which it won't.

Actually, because it overloads, It may be useful to do tripod work at night for composing long exposures.

Irakly, call me !!! I have an idea. $$$$$

Marc,

The timing of your post was VERY fortuitous as I was just about to bid on one! They do look pretty cool but I have read nothing but below average comments about the screen and the usefulness of the item.

I can out that money towards seending my N1 in for focus recalibration
happy.gif

Kent

"I can out that money towards seending my N1 in for focus recalibration"

Make that:

"I can PUT"
and
"SENDING my N1"

Too much time in front of the monitor today!

Back