DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Changing fstops when zooming

G

I must be getting dim or something, but I have just noticed that when I am working at focal lengths longer than 24mm, the f-stop shown in the viewfinder display seems to bear little resemblance to what I set on the aperture ring of the lens.
Does this make the slightest difference to anything, or is this just an idiosyncrasy of variable-aperture zooms, and I have just never spotted it before ?

Just to finish this thread – it’s a characteristic of variable aperture zooms and varifocal lenses. The aperture ring markings are good for 24mm only – the actual aperture for a given local length is displayed in the viewfinder and top-plate LCD.

Question was asked in different thread: "is what is marked on the lens as f8 still an f8 or do I have to compensate and open up a touch when I'm on the long end of my zoom?"

The answer is no, except for the Zeiss 17-35mm zoom. When you turn the zoom range from the wide end to the long end. Somewhere pass the middle of the focal length, the f-stop change. It is visible inside the view finder display. But on the lens, f/8 is now actually f/11. It is critical when you shot flash/strobe or chrome films in manual mode. That's one of the reasons a lot of pros pay big bucks for the fix aperture zoom lenses when available. So, you have to open 1 stop or 1/2 stop depends on where your focal length is. You can also depend on the view finder display. Experience shows that it is accurate enough for exposing chrome films.

>Albert,

Would you please elaborate on the 17-35?

thanks,

michael.

Micheal, My message was not very clear. What I was trying to say is that the N 17-35mm Zoom Lens is a fix aperture zoom which the aperture does not change on any zoom range. Hence, no compensate for exposure is required.

>Albert,

Thank you. I was hoping that is what you meant ... just wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification.

Michael.

I don't have an N1, but I do have an ND which I imagine is similar in most ways, and while the physical marking obviously cannot change, you can set the viewfinder to show the effective f-stop. Also, the metering circuits will compensate so it is only an issue in situations where you are using external metering to set the f-stop manually.

DJ

Back