DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Lens creep

G

I have had my 24-85mm a couple of weeks now, and already it seems to be loosening up. When I carry it on my shoulder, it slowly unwinds towards the 85 end, whereas when it was new out of the box it was quite stiff to turn.
Although it is not nearly as bad as the 28-135 IS Canon lens I used to have, which dropped to full length at once, I wonder just how much creep is tolerable before I have to send the lens away to get it tightened up again. Has anyone else experienced this creep ? And if so, how long did you let it go for before you took some action ?
I also would like to be prepared for the same thing to happen on my 70-300 lens, due to arrive any day now.

Robin

I had it on my 24-85mm and sent it back within a couple of weeks of purchase. It went to Contax in Germany and came back in perfect working order. Never slipped since. The 70-300mm has never slipped.

Simon

I just used my 24-85 for 3 days.. It starts slipping.. Should I send mine for repair?

no, mine does the same, as long as u are happy with the quality of the pics, keep it. don't mess with a good thing

Sam

Send it and get it fixed. You shouldn't have to accept substandard quality at the prices we are paying. Mine was repaied and works fine now.

Simon

Sam

Send it and get it fixed. You shouldn't have to accept substandard quality at the prices we are paying. Mine was repaired and works fine now.

Simon

Back