DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Worth buying an ND

9designs

Not sure if anyone reads here now ...... But is it worth buying a N Digital these days..... I have an N1, with 17-35, 24-85 and 70-200..... (oh and I have a Canon 5D set-up !!)

Contax ND experiences

Hi,
its a great experience working with the ND and all the nice lenses from the N1.
Please not that you can get the best quality with low ISO-settings.
Its usefull to use fast optics or flash.
In my experience the ND produces images which are in another (higher!) league than a Canon 8 MPixel APC. Maybe the lenses do this or the sensor or may be both.
The ND is a little "imperfect": you have to wait a while after turning on an you will get only 3 Picture per second and then you have to wait a little bit. Sometimes a picture gets wrong - because of internal software problems.
Batteries are not a problem in these days if you buy the best AA`s you can, Eneloop are also OK.
To transfer the pictures to the PC you have to use a card reader - I have never get it running to transfer with firewire but card readers are fast and cheap.
I would say for a Contax fan everything is fine and the imperfection is OK.
If you are more interesting in please let it know.
Andreas

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I had done some reading up and it's limitations were not off putting. I thinking to use it for landscape and architecture type pictures, which in my main interest. So low ISO is not really a worry, perhaps will push me to use my tripod a bit more once a put a PL filter on the lens !

I always use a card reader anyway, quickest way I find. And good AA batteries are no problem.

How it would compare to the 12mp Full Frame Canon I have in the 5D remains to be seen. I already use Canon's best lens offer in the 17-40L and 24-105L.

As you say working with a Contax has a nice feel, I still think the auto/manual focus system is the best I've ever seen. Hitting the button with your thumb when you want auto focus is a great way to work.

Hmmm I'm still tempted to try one. :)

Hmmm I'm still tempted to try one. :)

If you can get one. They always were rare and now I see only one offer when I have a look at the web - my old "friend" Boris Jamtchik of shphoto in Nuremberg who wants a prohibitive 3000 Euros for a never used ND...

Greetings, Hans

I've still not decided whether to take the plunge.... though seen a couple a lot cheaper in slightly used condition......800GBP a good price ?

Well two years on I have now picked up a very nice hardly used ND ..... The use experience is great, feels like taking real pictures. Though the I guess the success rate is still higher with the 5D, just means I need more practice.

ND Owner

Hi, I am new to the forum. I just purchased a ND and 3 lenses. I need to get the Instruction manual in Englis or a xerox copy. I am trying to figure it out in the meantime. I just retired fro shooting weddings after 38 years and bought this for me to use on vacation and for family events. Its a beautiful camera and I have patience as far as not being so fast in seeing what I have shot. My email is: dmansour@sb-nj.com

ND

These cameras are fun. I have one. I got it from Adorama a few years back and still pull it out of my cabinet once in awhile to take a few shots. I now use a D2xs for the speed and reliability but the ND takes pictures like non other. There are people out there that still use them. Check out our flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/673869@N20/

Back