DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

105 lense 20 dc or 28 Micro

G

Hi, I just bought an F5 used, and am interested in good portrait lense. Which lense should I get, the 2.0 DC or the 2.8 Micro? Thanks

I would opt for the DC over the micro if you're into portraiture. If AF isn't important, you may also want to look into a 105mm f/2.5 AIS. My favorite portrait lens is a late version of the pre-AI (though mine has been AI'd) 85mm f/1.8.

>

I agree with Bob. I have the AIS 2.0 version of the 85. Great sharp lens, uses 52mm filters. I like the 105 f2.5 as well, but the 85 is much "crisper" IMHO.

Clark,
I agree with the above & most would find the 105 micro too sharp & end up using some type of defusion filter.....Bill

I have the 105/2.5 AI and it is my FAVORITE portrait lens...Just excellent. The Micro has an unpleasing Bokeh, or out of focus areas making portraits look harsh. The 105/2 DC is an excellent portraint lens, but it is also costly because of the "DC".

The 105/2 DC is fast, very sharp and, when needed, you can use the DC as diffusion filter. Using the DC to control the Bokeh needs some practise. I bought mine second hand and never regretted it. If you are not into micro-photography forget the 2.8 micro

I am fortunate to own both along with the 105 f2.5 and 85 f1.4.
If its portraits you want it for and you want to ratain AF anf matrix metering i would go for the 105 DC lens every time.
If you have an inyerest in macro though that also works very well and you can always soften with a filter or nylon stocking.

Ooops just spotted date.
You have probably already made your choice.
blush.gif

Back