DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Hello from Sunny Singapore

FelixTan

Hi Everyone,

I'm Felix and I started with film cameras in the late 1980s with a Cosina CT-1 Super and then moved to a Chinon CP-7m and in 1992 to a Pentax Z-20 (PZ-20 for USA).

Then in the early 2000s, I moved on to digital but did not like the output from the superzooms and moved to a Pentax K10D. In 2008, I chanced upon a Pentax MZ-S and was enticed by the good price so bought it from my regular camera shop. That camera is now dead as the mirror gave up. In 2012 I bought back the Chinon but did not use it much.

It is now 2017 and I chanced upon a bargain for a Contax G1 from an old mentor that taught me some camera stuff when I was younger. I then bought a 45/2, 90/2.8 and the TLA140 flash from another seller on the local forum.

I am really in love with the Carl Zeiss lenses as they are really sharp.

Hi Felix and welcome to the Forum!

I'm delighted that you are enjoying the G1 and those superb Zeiss lenses. By the way, is your G1 the original silver labelled version or the upgraded one with a green label in the film chamber? The advantage of the later, green version is that, should you wish to, you can use the outstanding 21mm and 35mm lenses with the camera; they won't work properly with the earlier silver labelled body. The G-series lenses are classic examples of Zeiss' craft and thankfully there are quite a few adapters out there that allow them to be used in manual focus mode on a range of Digital SLRs and CSCs. It's such fun to be able to use Zeiss glass with both film and digital media.

I do love that 45mm...

Hi Biggles3,

My G1 is the Green Label version. Yes, I can see why everyone loves the 45mm. I have not tried out the 90mm yet. Going to put a roll in to test out soon.

The 45mm ios outstanding. If you do have some focussing isssues with the 90mm do not worry. It takes time with the 90mm and is not as easy to focus as with the 45mm

Back