DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Minilux or CM

I thought the Program Shift was a way to adjust the shutterspeed and correlating aperture that the camera selects in Program (auto-everything) mode. So that, if the camera measures the light at f5.6 at 1/250th, you use the dial on the back to change to an aperture or speed more appropriate for the scene or situation, but the camera keeps both parameters coupled together. So, rotating the dial one way would give you f4 @ 1/500th, then f2.8 @ 1/1000th. Going the other way would give you f8 @ 125, and then f11 @ 1/60....

Could someone confirm that this is correct?

Also, does anyone have a link to s&le shots from the CM (or minilux, i suppose)? I'd be most interested in seeing environmental portraits, or travel shots, and not so much landscapes.

Thankya.

Derek, you are right about the way Program Shift works.

For travel shots, go to www.palmerphotographic.co.uk - the shots in Vienna were all taken with the CM. In "other times, other places" the tourists in Trafalgar Square were shot using the CM. I've posted other shots in the Photo Forum on the Leica website - search under my name or CM. Edgar Ubert has also posted his CM shots of New York there. I've only used my CM so far with 400 & 800 print film, but I will shortly be using it with slower stock on a trip to the Caribbean.

Regards,

Bill

Bill,
Thank you for the links. I had been a while since i'd checked the Leica site's Photo Forum, so i had missed many of those images. Your photograph from Trafalgar Square ("from the hip") was what i was looking for - an excellent ex&le of the character of that lens. The Summarit renders bokeh in a classic way. As well, tonality is much smoother than with the Contax T3 i used to have, which i seemed to always find sharp, but too contrasty. I look forward to seeing your Caribbean trip pix. Wish i could be there myself. Instead, i'll be locked up in my Manhattan apartment, afraid to venture out into the cold....

Regards,

derek

You are very welcome Derek. I am very pleased with the Summarit, and with the CM in general. It goes with me everywhere. It replaces a Contax T2, and improves on it in pretty well every department.

Chilly Manhattan, eh? - I shall raise a rum punch to you when I am sitting on the beach!

Regards,

Bill

Dear Dirk...
300Euro is a fair price IMHO... costs the same here in Singapore, used, good condition... for a compact, it delivers excellent pics... since its portable, it gets to go with me to all my holidays, and have so far delivered 'keepers' where my other compact failed to deliver... Since teh CM is an upgraded version, U shld buy it if U can afford it, otherwise , the Minilux shld not disappoint. Only known prob is the shutter unit ? can't remember now - something like error message E01 or something like that - me and a few Minilux users (3 I know) have encountered this after a few years of use. I got it repaired (expensive) becos its a camera worth keeping and using. So far no prob - that was 3 years ago...

Contact me offlist for more info...and some s&le pics..

Peace
TMLee

Back