DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Portrait lens

G

Hi! Does anyone have an opinion about best CZ portrait lens for Contax SLR C/Y-mount, please.
Alexey.

No hesitation, 85mm F1.4 Planar, superb lens for all other uses too.

Has anyone used a vivitar / cosina / optomax (and whatever other name they are sold under!) 100mm f3.5 macro lenses? I was perhaps thinking of getting one. They are supposed to be optically good but not very ruggedly made.

Hi folk

Among the 3rd party lenses i understand the Tamron 90 f2.5 macro is good one build is strong (rugged) and using since many years.It is fact cannot compete CZ 85 or 135 but no doubt it is worth the price secondly due to adaptall it can be used with any body.

Hi a note about Tamron 90 f2.5 I have owned two of these lenses the older of the two was(is) a quite robust design of all metal construction the second is current production and is not so robust as it is mainly constructed of plastic so if this is important to you I would suggest you check this with seller before purchase. Why not look for an old 85mm 2.8 CZ AE if you do not require Macro as a good second hand tamron is liable to cost about £100.
Hope this is some help John.
Hope this helps

Hi did not think before if you have high speed internet cauld send a couple of images shot with a tamron SP 90mm 2.5. Just contact me off list.
John.

Why only think about the 85 and the 135? There was a splendid portrait lens in the ZEISS portfolio: The 3.5/100! According to the brochures it was specially designed for studio and portrait photography. It was tested in a German test as more than excellent ! Very rarely seen, maybe because nobody wants to give it away.

On the other hand, a used 135 is quite cheap and it is (need to mention?) a very good lens. In my opinion, for classical portraits a bit too long. The 2.8/85 is a fine lens, lightweight and high quality (had one, gave it away when I bought a 1.4/85), but not easy to find.

matthias

That's interesting Matthias. I have one of those in rare MM fitting = and I love it. I didn't know it was specifically designed as a = priortrait lens although the length would suggest it of course.

John

Back