DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G2 general questions

I hsd the same reaction as Wilson when last week I got back the first roll of prints taken with my new my G2/45. I was stunned by the quality of the images. I keep looking at the photos, the sharpness and punch are so amazing.

Although my first roll turned out well, I'm still paranoid about the focusing issue. Do you think the G2 would pose focusing problems at the Grand Canyon? I used my N24-85 lens there, and would like to use the G45, too.

Also, I was so concerned about depth of field, that I shot mostly at f11 and f16. The photos taken at f8 are more impressive. Do I need to have the dof chart imprinted in my mind with every shot and, if not, do I always have to shoot scenics at f11 or 16? Sorry about these basic questions.

Thanks for any help offered.

DOF is a hassle with this camera. It's been generally agreed about at this forum. I myself have only been able to memorize the hyperfocal distances for F/16 and f/8 on the 45mm lens.

Diane, I'm halfway through my third roll and already I am just beginning to get the hang of the autofocus. I now look for vertical lines (or horizontal when taking in portrait) and then re-centre with the button halfway down. I avoid trying to focus on things with low contrast or repetitive patterns (leaves. brick walls etc.) If I am going to be taking things all at infinity I use manual focus or CF setting which seems to work better. I had checked my battery voltages and thought that 2.83/4v. each battery was OK but a new set definitely improved the autofocus. Hope this helps. Wilson

"I'm still paranoid about the focusing issue. Do you think the G2 would pose focusing problems at the Grand Canyon? I used my N24-85 lens there, and would like to use the G45, too."

I live in New Mexico and have travelled extensively throughout the Southwest. The G2 is my constant companion and has never failed to capture the finest images that I am capable of creating. For grand landscapes, I often set the manual focus at infinity, the aperture at f8 or fll and fire away. Using Fuji Reala, the results are quite amazing, or so my friends tell me.

The much discussed focusing difficulties with the G2 are a non-issue once you have mastered the technique. The most common mistake made by beginners is not realizing that the lens returns to infinity position whenever the focus-lock is released, making re-focusing necessary. Although this may seem annoying at first, it quickly becomes second nature and automatic. With time, one gains complete confidence in the focusing system, assuming that the rangefinder is properly calibrated and linked to the lenses.

assuming that the rangefinder is properly calibrated and linked to the lenses. What does that mean !?
Are there Contax G2 wich dont work proper!?

Or ist it true, the out of focus picture is not a bug, its a future and the G user gets someting with spezial focus efects!?

I really want to know what it could be when you get pictures out of focus when you focus on the object, but you here always, you have to use the G2 on the right way and you will bee happy with your fotofraph.

> Posted by Robert Goldstein (Robgo2) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 12:45 am: > "The much discussed focusing difficulties with the G2 are a non-issue > once you have mastered the technique. The most common mistake made by > beginners is not realizing that the lens returns to infinity position > whenever the focus-lock is realeased, making re-focusing necessary. > Although this may seem annoying at first, it quickly becomes second > nature and automatic. With time, one gains complete confidence in the > focusing system, assuming that the rangefinder is properly calibrated > and linked to the lenses." > So how do you know if the camera is properly calibrated, other than ending up with out of focus images after the fact?

Thanks, Doug

Thanks for all your insights folks.....
Still on the fence with this system however the new rebate program make it a seemingly "good buy"
Again thanks!!!

To: Mark (Tomasjpn)
Re: ...it is the perfect camera - fits neatly in your palm (I have a heavy-duty wrist strap on mine),

What brand/model of wrist strap do you use? Thanks.

"So how do you know if the camera is properly calibrated, other than ending up with out of focus images after the fact?"

Well, out of focus images are certainly a clue that something is awry. One can also perform rangefinder tests by comparing the actual distance to a focusing target with the measured distance in the window on the top of the camera. Finally, Contax service can check out the focusing accuracy with any or all of your lenses. Understand that these considerations pertain to all rangefinder cameras, including those which focus by superimposition of images, e.g. Leica.

FWIW, my G2 is currently being serviced by Contax for focusing problems that developed after I dropped the camera from a height of five feet (ouch). This is the second time that I have required such service in the past 3 years.

Rob

Back