DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica RDigital Back

Eulogio,

Two nice pictures and excellent detail.
In my opinion, the color on the first is particularly good; I would have preferred less sharpening. But as you rightly say, tastes are a very personal matter.

Cheers
Peter

I notice that there hasn't been a posting here since last October. Does anyone have the Leica DMR? And an opinion about it especially whether it's value for money?

I know there's a thread on Fred Miranda, but we're a Leica users group.

> [I was posing this question to an old leica colleague just this week; > he replied " i don't expect you will see any- its' been outclassed > several times over, by equipment that is far far cheaper, and does a > better job". Sad, i think, but who knows ?

I am very pleased with the images from my DMR. I have been using since September.

It must be admitted that the DMR is heavy and very expensive. I bought it to save the use of my accumulation of lenses, acquired over many years. Note that at 83 I do mean many. I bought my III-G in 1939, my Leicaflex in 1965, and my R8 a while ago when it first came out. I am nearly all digital now and my computer is clogged with images and imaging software. That is a different problem, for discussion another time.

I am pretty sure that I would not buy a Leica with DMR if I had no existing Leica base. I am pleased with the convenience of my 8 MP Canon Pro-1, but the DMR shots clearly are better, smoother, sharper.

I have a second battery, so I have had no problems with running out of power in a day's shooting. Sometimes I use the manual shutter wind to save power. That is done by flipping out the rewind lever when taking a picture. Thus power is used only for exposure and not for resetting the shutter. A new 2GB SD chip will hold 101 DNG (RAW) images and that should cover a day's shooting. Of course, dead batteries are recharged every night and before shooting if there has been a long period of inactivity.

Is the DMR good value for the money? Probably not. Is it a good solution for a Leica user? Definitely yes.

Bruce, I'm glad that you're pleased with your DMR, but I'm afraid Jerry may be right. My next D will be a Canon 5D; my son-in-law's just got one and he's ecstatic about its performance, especially the fact that it's full frame. He doesn't have Leitz glass, but I do and getting a 5D will be a far cheaper solution for me as opposed to upgrading my R6 and buying the DMR. As I mentioned some time ago, I think the other disadvantage for someone of my age is the weight of the Leica gear.

83 is certainly a lot of lenses.
You may hold the record for the number of Leitz/Leica lenses owned by an individual photographer vs a "collector" Well done!

Colin:

The gentleman wrote:

"Note that at 83 I do mean many. I bought my III-G in 1939,"

I believe he is referring to his age.

Dr. Ebury:

Why not use film with your fine equipment? Print film has more latitude than digital, if you shoot slides it is about the same, and of course,you can always scan if you want to.

Best Regard:

Gilbert

Gilbert, yes, and I have the latest KM scanner which gives me excellent quality. It is all more work though, and I'm becoming increasingly edgy about being able to have my slides (which I much prefer to film) processed at reasonable cost, or indeed at all. Kodak lost a film of mine recently; luckily there wasn't anything vital on it, but there was no explanation, apology or compensation!

I also have such fun with my existing D! It's a Pentax and I'm using some of their fine old manual lenses on it, as well as a couple of their contemporary Limiteds.

But I do have a bit of a yearning to see how my Leitz and Angenieux glass would perform on a D. I had better get my son-in-law over from New York and invest in an adapter!

Kind regards

Francis

I agree wholeheartedly about the scanner advice.

I'm too big a film fan to go digital overall, but I'm currently considering this scanner for when I can't get to a darkroom, or need to Photoshop a particular shot for whatever reason - it's apparently very good and if you look through the features, seems to be a breeze to use and quite fast too.

http://konicaminolta.com/products/consumer/digital_camera/dimage/dimagescan- elite5400-2/index_nf.html

At 5400 dpi, that's an effective 42.2 megapixel resolution...

If anyone's actually used it, would you let me know, I'd be interested to hear what the results were. I've read a few reviews and seen online results that looked very promising.

Then you just have to find a printer which will print at a high enough res... and start buying high quality paper, and cartridges - try finding good 'fade-free' ones... (and then you start to wonder why you didn't just carry on the good old fashioned way...)

James

Back