DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax Zeiss Vario Sonnar 100-300

G

Can anyone comment on the usage of the Mutar II with the VS 100-300. I occaisionally use the Mutar II with the 300/f4 and am not overly impressed with the results. Can the Mutar II be used with the VS 100-300. Seems like I heard it (II) can only be used with the prime lenses.
Ron in NM

> I don't think the VS 100-300 can be used with the Mutar II. I think the element may touch. Ouch, with the grinding and the mounting!

Hi Ron,

If you go to the scan section and there to the Contax broshures, you can look there for recommendations of Zeiss. But check different brochures, since sometimes the recommendation which what to use the Mutar changes.

Dirk

You can use Mutar II and III with 100-300. Before mounting, set the zoom at 200-300. After monting, you can only use 150mm-300mm, but the lenses will never touch , only the metal parts! And optically it is much better than Mirotar 500/8.

Jenssen,

It's amazing. I have the 100-300VS and I looking for something longer....... However, I'm not fully understand -"but the lenses will never touch , only the metal parts"; also why have to set it at 200-300 before mounting and only use at 150-300?? Thanks.

There is a thread about the Mutars in this forum here which contains the necessary info and explains the problems

Mike

LS: I allways set the zoom at 200 or longer to avoid damage of the lenses when mounting/dismounting. When the lens is mounted on Mutar II or III, you ca zoom back to about 150mm?, then the metal around the lenses will meet.

Using Aria with either average or spot metering, when changing from 100mm to 300mm at max. aperture of 4.5 and pointing to a flat grey wall, it is noted shutter spead always show a one full stop drop instead of half stop. Should the lens be actually a vario f4.5 to f6.7 instead of f4.5 to f5.6.

Hello Edmond,

did you try this at infinity or was your grey wall quite near to you and the camera?
A short look on the Zeiss data sheet for the 100-300 told me that aperture values are only correct for infinity. If a lens gets longer due to focussing more light will be absorbed by the longer "black tunnel". An extrema for this is the usage of extension rings or auto bellows which also reduce the maximum aperture of a lens.

Matthias

Couldn´t it be just a round-off problem of ARIA´s shutter speed display because of having only steps by factor 1.4 (or 0.7) ?

Back