DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

G

Hi everybody,

I made some research about the Canon 1Ds and it seems that it is not that great as it was supposed to be. There are some problems obviously with dust on the chip, which even gets on it if you are using the camera with the utmost care. This dust is clearly visible on the pictures later on.

There seems to be also a problem with lens quality at the corners. Since the 1Ds uses a 11MB fullsize chip, all inferior lens design at the corners are now very clear visible. You did not have this problems with the D60 since it uses not a fullsize chip. The corners are therefore "cutted out" with the D60.

This puts the Contax ND in another perspective. It uses also a fullsize chip (only 6 MB pixel), but on our sisters site (www.contaxinfo.com) I have not heard anything regarding a dust-problem or the bad quality in the corners of the pictures.

Maybe this is also the reason why Nikon did not come out yet with a fullsize chip-camera. They are offering instead a special wideangle-zoom, so that Nikon Digital users can have also a real wideangle even with a smaller chip size.

Has anybody made the same experience with the Canon 1Ds?

Dirk

Well, I think dust issue is natural for DSLRs, including 1Ds as current leader. Once yuo remove the lens (swapping the lenses - isn't it the primary reason of chosing DSLR against high-quality fixed lens cameras ?), the dust inevatiably get in. Considering the physical properties of sensor's surfaces that attracts the dust (perhaps due to certain electrical charge on the surface), I do not wonder the issue.
I doubt though Contax, Nikon or any other interchangeable lens DSLR manufacturer can avoid that, but probaly only by building some unigue (read expensive) automatic sensor cover once the lens is removed.
As about exhibiting lens "impurities" once put on such high-resolution and full-frame DSLR - it doesn't sound me fair putting cheap, low-quality optics on 7k$ body. I'm sure, one shelling out such a fortune for DSLR body will not put 28-80/4.5-5.6 on it... :).
Anyway, no camera is made to cover lens's own imperfections. :)

Regards, Alex

Hi everybody,

thanks to the effort of Marc Williams and Irakly Shanidze, we can publish comparison - testshots with the Canon 1Ds vs. the Contax ND. Both cameras have a full frame chip. The Canon Chip has 11MB, the Contax Chip has 6MB.

You will find the first images in the photo gallery of Canoninfo.com. As soon as there are more available, I will post them in the gallery.

Detailed comments will be available soon in this forum, shortly after they are posted on our sistersite contaxinfo.com.

Dirk

Just click in the navigation menu on top of the forum on "photo-Gallery"

As already indicated on the German sister site, your observation with regards to "inferior" lenses, Dirk, appears to be restricted to utilization of inappropriate gear! Why would anybody bother shooting a 1Ds with lenses other than professional ones?! The fullframe size mercylessly exposes poor optics, due to its inherent high quality and not vice versa.

I am in a suspense to see Irakli and Mark's comparison, as I have "met" them on the Contaxinfo site and appreciated their able and sober contributions, previously!

Dirk, the dust issue too would seem to be soley depending on the way the camera is handled, as Alex rightfully suggests above.
3580.jpg

Back